Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No power in shed, trip switch NOT tripped.

Options
  • 20-03-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

Just today I was out in my shed, and I noticed for some reason there is no power in the sockets, lights, etc. There is a single trip switch in the shed for it but it wasn't tripped. I switched it off and then on and there was a bit of power for a split-second, but it went dead again. Now there is no power when it switched on repeatedly. The main circuit breakers in the house are all still on.

Could it be a loose wire somewhere along the line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sounds like a faulty switch or connection in the shed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Sounds like a faulty switch or connection in the shed....

I'll test it out with a phase tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Check the breakers in the house as some types can look like they are up when they have tripped and need to be pushed down and then up to reset them. Its a long shot, prob a loose connection at the shed or switch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sometimes an MCB can trip but the actual switch stays stuck in the on position. In this case though it sounds like a loose connection at the trip switch (MCB) in the shed, or on the box the shed switch is in, or a faulty trip switch. A phase tester is not great for them types of tests. But you could check if there is a live feed into the trip switch in the shed and see if any of the connections are loose at it.

If you cut the power to the shed from the house if you know where its from and can confirm its off in the shed then that would be even better to allow checking of connections. Very simple task for a sparks, but not quite as simple as some DIY enthuiasts might imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Found the problem. There was a junction box in the shed that was completely corroded. I replaced it and everything works again! Thanks for the suggestions anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well that would be classed as a bad connection, so the suggestions sound right to me anyway. It must be damp in the shed if they corroded.

Advertisement