Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Drive has gone BUST! HELP????

• 20-03-2011 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

I have a Seagate 250GB portable drive.

Yesterday I put about 3500 songs on it(along with the 10-15GBs on it already) and it went BUST for no reason! P

Now Windows(im on win 7) says i have to format it before i can use it again but THEN it wont let me format it.

I've downloaded EASEUS Partition master, tried formatting with that, defragging...etc but nothing. It says Successful but still i can't access it without windows telling me I need to format it.

Any help appreciated! :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Moved to Computers & Technology

Bust hard drive is bust. Sounds like either the controller or HDD is kaput. The HDD inside might be intact, and you could try pulling the case apart and hooking up the naked HDD if you were desperate to retrieve irreplaceable data on it, but it could also be a working controller and a defective HDD, in which case lost data is lost :o

You can also try it on another PC before taking any irrevocable action, but most likely its time for RMA if its still in warranty methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If you formatted the drive, then your chance of retrieving any data has dropped considerably.

If you used a recovery tool it might've repaired any bad sectors.
    But formatting basically writes a blank pattern over the entire disk, overwriting everything.

What is your priority, retrieving the data or simply getting the disk to work again but with no data ?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Try Opening it up and cleaning the read/write head with warm water.

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

If you formatted the drive, then your chance of retrieving any data has dropped considerably.

If you used a recovery tool it might've repaired any bad sectors.
    But formatting basically writes a blank pattern over the entire disk, overwriting everything.

What is your priority, retrieving the data or simply getting the disk to work again but with no data ?

Getting it to work again! The data is not a loss, just a backup of my main laptop hard drive, so lets hope my laptop doesnt give in..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Try Opening it up and cleaning the read/write head with warm water.

I

Are you actually serious????!?!?:confused:

Just try Solitaire's suggestion, or RMA it straight away seeing as you've already formatted it...

I'm not sure what Seagate are like with external drives, but they offer an absolutely fantastic RMA service for internal drives (I had my replacement the day after I posted a defective drive!)
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/warranty_%26_returns_assistance

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    Are you actually serious????!?!?:confused:

Just try Solitaire's suggestion, or RMA it straight away seeing as you've already formatted it...

I'm not sure what Seagate are like with external drives, but they offer an absolutely fantastic RMA service for internal drives (I had my replacement the day after I posted a defective drive!)
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/warranty_%26_returns_assistance

what is RMA?
    and how do i go about doing so..?

tmcw wrote: »

You're a star!

Do RMA's usually look after your postage costs too? Cuz this is going to be at least 5 euro to post to the UK.
    :rolleyes:

P.S. Where the hell do I get an ESD Bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

No in most cases the postage is on the sender and they dont refund. Ive never returned anything in a ESD bag. Pop it in a box with some good packing so it cant bounce around and it should be fine. If you've still got the original packaging use that. I'd advise you to register the package so you can track it.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    No in most cases the postage is on the sender and they dont refund. Ive never returned anything in a ESD bag. Pop it in a box with some good packing so it cant bounce around and it should be fine. If you've still got the original packaging use that. I'd advise you to register the package so you can track it.

Alrite Thanks!

Do I just ask them in An Post to register it or is that a 'Track My Order' option with Seagate?
    Also how much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes. The post office will sort you out. It may cost up to 10 euro for everything depending on the weight

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes. The post office will sort you out. It may cost up to 10 euro for everything depending on the weight

10 quid, dang. They(Seagate) better refund that to me after selling me a hard drive that crashes after little use in under a year.

Advertisement