Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbeds 16+

Options
  • 20-03-2011 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Anyone know any tanning salons which don't have an order 18 policy, just over 16? :) In Dublin maybe?

Thx :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

You'd be better off with a good fake tan (haven't a clue what's good myself but others should know) Sunbeds are terrible for your skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jackbyr

wise :) but it looks fake :S, only once a week for a base colour shouldn't be that bad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yes it is. Sunbeds cause skin cancer, end of. This base colour nonsense is ridiculous, it's not a base colour, it's damage to your skin. If you're fair skinned you're fair skinned, you should either accept it or get a very good fake tan. They don't all look fake, go into a good beauty salon/large chemist/beauty hall and they will advise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I thought it was state legislation that minors weren't allowed to use sunbeds, since summer of 2010. Could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I don't want this thread to turn into a preaching on sunbeds, but OP, you really need to listen to what you're being told here about sunbeds. They are not safe.

• Advertisement

its on ilegal but some just have over 18s policy, if any1 knows a 16+ tanning salon let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Get a spray tan done professionally instead if you can't find a sunbed place, they look really great honestly!

And I'm 99% certain the law was changed last year or so to make them all over 18's

then i have to go every 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jackbyr wrote: »

beats skin cancer and skin like leather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Seeing as this is an Irish site I'm assuming you're Irish. Irish people are for the most part pale, I'm not trying to be funny but it's much easier to just accept that fact. I use sun shimmer when I want to take the edge of the paleness :D Sally Hansen is meant to be amazing too, have seen it on friends and they swear by it.

• Advertisement

Spadina wrote: »
    Seeing as this is an Irish site I'm assuming you're Irish. Irish people are for the most part pale, I'm not trying to be funny but it's much easier to just accept that fact. I use sun shimmer when I want to take the edge of the paleness :D Sally Hansen is meant to be amazing too, have seen it on friends and they swear by it.
    Oh airbrish legs is absolutely brilliant! Anybody can apply it and it looks perfect (speaking from personal experience here, I can't fut on tan to save my life)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I'm another one who hates preachy threads but honestly you are only 16 so I really hope you do not find somewhere to use a sunbed.

I used one for a summer when I was around 18 and I got a tanned face and back, that was all and I'm 23 now but I completely regret ever using it at all and really wish I hadn't, it's a very stupid thing to do and The smell of your skin afterwards is horrible.....ew.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ciara95

bluewolf wrote: »
    beats skin cancer and skin like leather

+1 dont do it. Fake tan all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Honestly OP, if you are over 16 you are well old enough to know that sunbeds are literally just skin cancer you pay for. Sun beds are different to actual sun, you get pure rays of the things that cause cancer. Once is too often, and frankly you will look ridiculous being totally tanned in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just ring various places in the golden pages that offer sunbeds?
    If they have a 18+ policy they probably have a good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I thought most salons got rid of sunbeds anyway given the danger involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

jackbyr wrote: »

IMHO if you go for a spray tan every three days then you're guaranteed it will look fake. If you get a good tan applied and mind it (i.e. moisturise your skin regularly) then you will not have to get it topped up so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

So if sunbeds are not safe, then I guess we should all hide away from the sun too? :rolleyes:

If the sunbed is used correctly and the person does not over-do their time and burn their skin they are quite safe to use. Moderation is important. Never try to rush a tan.

OP, I think most salons have an over 18 policy. You could check with the salons in your area if they have a waiver that your parents can sign to say that its ok with them if you tan. Otherwise I think you are just going to have to wait til the summer (if we get one) so you can lay out in the sunshine, or wait til you are 18!

Edit: One more thing, if you don't get a tan from the sun, you won't get a tan from a sunbed. A lot of people don't realise that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

rsta wrote: »
    So if sunbeds are not safe, then I guess we should all hide away from the sun too? :rolleyes:

Are you denying the health risks of using a sun bed?

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/852.aspx?categoryid=87&subcategoryid=87
    Sunbeds give out ultraviolet (UV) rays, which can cause skin cancer. Many sunbeds give out greater doses of UV rays than the midday Mediterranean sun.

The risks are greater for young people. Evidence shows that:
    • People who have excessive exposure to UV rays before the age of 20 have a greater risk of melanoma later in life.
    • Sunburn in childhood can greatly increase your risk of developing skin cancer later in life.
    UV rays from sunbeds

Sunbeds, sunlamps and tanning booths give out the same type of harmful radiation as sunlight:
    • UVA rays make up about 95% of sunlight. They can cause your skin to age early, making it look coarse, leathery and wrinkled.
    • UVB rays make up about 5% and cause your skin to burn.
    A tan is your body's attempt to protect itself from the damaging effect of UV rays. Getting a tan using a sunbed is not safer than tanning in the sun. In some cases, it may be more harmful, depending on, for example:
    • the strength (dose) of UV rays from the sunbed,
    • how many times or how often you use a sunbed,
    • how long your sessions are,
    • what type of skin you have, such as fair or dark, and
    • your age.
    Currently, there is no regulation that governs:
    • the type or strength of UV rays that sunbeds give out, or
    • who can use sunbeds.
    Damage from UV rays

Prolonged exposure to UV rays increases your risk of developing malignant melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer.
    You cannot always see the damage that UV rays cause. The symptoms of skin damage can take up to 20 years to appear.
    UV rays can also damage your eyes, by causing problems such as irritation, conjunctivitis or cataracts, particularly if you don’t wear goggles.

Advice about using sunbeds

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has issued advice on the health risks linked to UV tanning equipment, such as sunbeds, sunlamps and tanning booths. They recommend that you should not use UV tanning equipment if:
    • you are under 18,
    • you have fair, sensitive skin that burns easily, or tans slowly or poorly,
    • you have a history of sunburn, particularly in childhood,
    • you have lots of freckles and/or red hair,
    • you have lots of moles,
    • you are taking medicines or using creams that make your skin sensitive to sunlight,
    • you have a medical condition that is made worse by sunlight,
    • you have had skin cancer, or someone in your family has had skin cancer, or
    • sunlight has already badly damaged your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So if sunbeds are not safe, then I guess we should all hide away from the sun too? :rolleyes:.

Yes, obviously

You wont be rolling your eyes when youre suffering the effects in 20 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

*Face-palm*

I really thought the risks of over-exposure to the sun had been drummed into the public by now. Obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Moshimoshi

TBH for a 16 year old who is obviously concerned with her appearance, probably a more frightening deterrent to using sunbeds (and tanning in general) than the risk of skin cancer is the awful skin damage and aging it WILL cause. There isn't just a possibility somewhere down the line that it might happen to you, the moment you start tanning the damage starts accumulating. It's probably the worst thing you can do to your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

10 mins in sunbed can produce up to 10000iu Vit D, which protects against rickets.

Psychologically, we can feel better. There is no hard evidence that sub neds increase the amount of endorphins, so the 'happy' feeling after tanning, must be related to other factors.

A tan, even one from a sun bed CAN not WILL provide SPF of perhaps 2 when getting further sun. Not as good as SPF cream.

Sun bed allows user to control the amount of time the body is exposed to sunlight/UV light.

As with real sun, too much exposure is bad.

If I'm remembering my leaving cert biology correctly, a tan is actually your skin being damaged. The discolouration comed from your body having to produce extra melanin to repair itself. Or something :o It's definitely a sign of skin damage though. There's a difference between being out in the sun and getting a tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

If the sunbed is used correctly and the person does not over-do their time and burn their skin they are quite safe to use. Moderation is important. Never try to rush a tan.

OP, I think most salons have an over 18 policy. You could check with the salons in your area if they have a waiver that your parents can sign to say that its ok with them if you tan. Otherwise I think you are just going to have to wait til the summer (if we get one) so you can lay out in the sunshine, or wait til you are 18!

Edit: One more thing, if you don't get a tan from the sun, you won't get a tan from a sunbed. A lot of people don't realise that.

There is nothing safe about sunbeds at all. Similarly spending all day out in the sun over time is not good for you either. A certain amount of natural sunshine is vital for the human body and mind, however, if you spend too much time out in the sun your skin will tell the tale all too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

First of all, you say a fake tan looks fake. Well a sunbed tan looks a hell of a lot worse than fake tan. A sunbed tan has got an orange tint to it and you end up looking like an oompa loompa.

Second of all, it will ruin your skin, make you more prone to skin cancer, and you are seriously damaging your skin.

Third of all, you're only 16!!! Jees, you need to get your priorities straight. A sunbed is not necessary for anyone, nevermind a 16 year old.

Go to a reputable salon and get a spray tan done. You'll be glad when you're 30 and still have wrinkle-free skin rather than going on a sunbed now and having wrinkled, leathery skin by 30.

Oh and all this rubbish about a base tan, eh why? It's just pointless. Don't ruin your skin.

Advertisement