Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please, mature student.

Options
  • 20-03-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in the same position and what their experiences, and course of action were.

I am currently a mature student in UCD, Just about to complete my first year. I left work for college as I always wanted to study a specific subject and have a degree. The problem is, I am finding whats really holding me back is money.

Right now im on BTEA and finding it impossible to survive, I literally scrape by everyday. No more help can be offered.The stress of this is really affecting my study time. I have an apt to speak with the college but even then I know there's not much help they can offer in the monetary sense.

I feel I may have to leave to take up full time work again, not something I specifically want but I don't see any real choice.

I have searched for part time work for months now, but nothing is happening obivously with the current economy. Full time work wouldn't be as hard to come across as I have allot of experience in certain areas but that would mean definately leaving college.

Has anyone had to leave their course because of similar reasons? Could you take up your degree again after a certain amount of time away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You can defer for at least a year, that would give you time to save up and go back. And maybe if you were lucky, and schedule allowed, after a year back in employment you could ask to go part-time and work around your studies.

Your best bet is to stick it out and finish the year, once you pass the year you could defer your second year place and resume in a year, if you defer now you'd have to start from scratch when you go back.

Obviously, you'll need to speak to your course director / faculty, but as far as I know, you can only defer for one year, as you are holding up a place on the course.

As a matter of interest, did you go straight from employment to college and still qualify for BTEA or are you on a grant?

Colleges are also given funding which they put aside and can assist students in financial hardhsip with rent or medical expenses or whatever if you apply for it, something worth discussing when you get a chance also. It may not be much, but any contribution helps.

Advertisement