Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Vodafone broadband

• 20-03-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I've been having ongoing problems with my Vodafone broadband for months now and having tried everything I can think of I'd welcome any suggestions at all.

I have an analogue line used for broadband and nothing else (modem/router goes straight into the main drop point) and this has worked perfectly for years with Eircom, then BT broadband and finally Vodafone after BT sold out to them. Vodafone service had been fine for a while (though speed dropped from about 6 to 4Mb's) until just before last Christmas where the modem synced at 1Mb and speed was permanently about 700-900kbs with erratic bursts of latency.

I got in touch with Vodafone tech support who told me that they were doing extensive work on all exchanges and to give it a few weeks. After a fortnight and no improvement I contacted them again and after much chasing (I found them horrificaly bad at getting back to you, or for getting in touch with anyone you'd contacted previously) was told they could see a "major fault" on my line and scheduled an engineer visit. After finally getting the Eircom engineer out (a whole other story) he more or less checked to see if voice calls were possible on the line, announced that that was all Eircom were obliged to do for Vodafone and left (he also said Vodafone now use their own hardware at the exchange so he couldn't check that).

I now seem to be completely stuck in limbo, Vodafone claim it's nothing to do with them, any Eircom engineer they send will do nothing but test a voice call and both more or less just imply I must have repeatedly hit the length of copper running from my drop point to the edge of my property with an axe and run it through a dozen permanently running microwaves (ie it's all my fault).

I really have no idea where to go grom here after months of back and forth and immense frustration, after seeing the Eircom engineers utter apathy I'm dubious about switching to them and simply being stuck with the same problem, and to my immense sadness I can't get cable broadband. Is it possible to present an electricians report vouching for the integrity of the line in my property and will it do any good? Any suggestions at all more than welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

join the club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 yangzone

I've been having ongoing problems with my Vodafone broadband for months now and having tried everything I can think of I'd welcome any suggestions at all.

I have an analogue line used for broadband and nothing else (modem/router goes straight into the main drop point) and this has worked perfectly for years with Eircom, then BT broadband and finally Vodafone after BT sold out to them. Vodafone service had been fine for a while (though speed dropped from about 6 to 4Mb's) until just before last Christmas where the modem synced at 1Mb and speed was permanently about 700-900kbs with erratic bursts of latency.

I got in touch with Vodafone tech support who told me that they were doing extensive work on all exchanges and to give it a few weeks. After a fortnight and no improvement I contacted them again and after much chasing (I found them horrificaly bad at getting back to you, or for getting in touch with anyone you'd contacted previously) was told they could see a "major fault" on my line and scheduled an engineer visit. After finally getting the Eircom engineer out (a whole other story) he more or less checked to see if voice calls were possible on the line, announced that that was all Eircom were obliged to do for Vodafone and left (he also said Vodafone now use their own hardware at the exchange so he couldn't check that).

I now seem to be completely stuck in limbo, Vodafone claim it's nothing to do with them, any Eircom engineer they send will do nothing but test a voice call and both more or less just imply I must have repeatedly hit the length of copper running from my drop point to the edge of my property with an axe and run it through a dozen permanently running microwaves (ie it's all my fault).

I really have no idea where to go grom here after months of back and forth and immense frustration, after seeing the Eircom engineers utter apathy I'm dubious about switching to them and simply being stuck with the same problem, and to my immense sadness I can't get cable broadband. Is it possible to present an electricians report vouching for the integrity of the line in my property and will it do any good? Any suggestions at all more than welcome!

Same here and a lot of people are having problems with the company. the only way to really get any traction with a negligent company llke this is with a class-action lawsuit. 'Am not sure about such action in this country which seems to be corrupt at just about all levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Is it possible to present an electricians report vouching for the integrity of the line in my property and will it do any good? Any suggestions at all more than welcome!

Yes to what I've quoted.

The exchange you're connected to has probably been switched over to vodafones LLU platform.

Can you post your line stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭kaahooters

vodafone are up to something, and not just with there exchanges.

every months since december, around the 12 - 16 of each month, there servers **** up massivley. this has had the benifit of me being placed on the old esat servers (pre bt) and not showing up on vodafones system for 2 months (free downloads yaaay), but, lag is massive at stages and speeds can vary from 700mb to 4.6mb.

like you i have contacted them a lot, yelled a lot, and gotten no where.

i actually have a list of there gateways i can connect to to get decent speeds and lag (basically disconectiong and reconnecting through the modems setup page), but these seem to change every 2 months or so.

they probley fired there server monkeys that knew what they were doing and hired morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aine09061976

I have real problems with Vodafone broadband it is either snail slow or I simply can't connect it is worse on my laptop which is in my bedroom the router is in the living room. I did a speed test and I wasn't even getting 1mps. Can anyone help I'm fed up having no internet connection in my room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't drag up old threads.
    Ask Vodafone directly on their own forum, it's linked at the top of this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement