Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Grading.

Options
  • 20-03-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised there is not one. The guys here can delete it but I do have one question. I've been playing trumpet about seven months and I asked my teacher about grades and he said I could skip to Grade 3! I want to know what are the songs like on that grade? Most likely I would be doing grade 2 though! Info. on both would be good! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm not sure what the trumpet pieces are like on Grade 3 as I'm a piano teacher, but for what it's worth, the early grades are really about learning to read music. I find a lot of teachers tend to start adult student's exams at around Grade 3, as they pick up the reading aspect faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I'm 14. Thanks for replying, I can read music easily though!

Troxck wrote: »
    I'm 14. Thanks for replying, I can read music easily though!

Oh, right, sorry! Well, it's still true of a lot of teenage beginners, especially if you play another instrument. (Don't know if you do.) I'd say just trust your teacher.

I will, I played guitar for a month and can play the recorder, who can't though?

Also, is there a website where I could look and all that? Is there an Irish music society?

• Advertisement

I think the Academy's syllabus is available to download on riam.ie, and that'll have a list of pieces, but after that you'll have to track down recordings on your own. YouTube is always a good place to start.

Advertisement