Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howth places of interest

Options
  • 20-03-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Around the cliffs of Howth, there are various headlands and places of interest. Between the Nose of Howth and Pipers Gut, on the eastern side, there is a location known as Casana Rock.

Do you know if this is a headland, or the rock in the sea off the clffs ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I believe it is a rock in the sea

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nagradim/334490375/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Dublin County North

Beasty

Beasty wrote: »

Beasty
    ???? Why ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Beasty

Howth is Co. Dublin; it doesn't have a post code.

And it's north of the Liffey.

TarfHead wrote: »

And it's north of the Liffey.

I agree thats why I asked why it was moved ... just curious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Beasty

Beasty must be a another blow in to these parts. :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It likes to pretend this, but it's in Dublin 13. Its post gets sorted in Baldoyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Strictly it's 13, at least according to the An Post website, but almost everybody here uses the Co Dublin. I just asked in the local PO and they couldn't give a 100% sure answer.

As for boards, Howth is usually in the Dublin City forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

If its county Dublin won't they be in fingal?But I think I've seen Dublin city council carrying out the works in Howth?

Dublin post district code boundaries and Fingal boundary are not the same. See http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/AboutFingal/Maps/MapOfFingal/FileDownload,17827,en.jpg. Parts of Castleknock, Blanch, Baldoyle and Sutton to name a few have district codes but are Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I always write Co. Dublin out of habit, but I use D13 mostly when I am on the net and it requires a postcode. Don't get why people say it is pretentious to have it as Co. Dublin. Doesn't really matter in my books to be honest and anyway, Howth is easily the nicest place in Dublin North, I don't need to pretend that it is ;)

As for places of interest, I would put down the Dolmen and Rhododendron Gardens in Deer Park. Often goes unnoticed by tourists.

Can I bring this back to the question originally asked ?

Is Casana Rock a headland, an area or the rock off the cliffs, south of The Nose ?

Is Casana Rock a headland, an area or the rock off the cliffs, south of The Nose ?

i think its all 3! It is the rock which give the headland its name

It's a rock a few metres off the cliffs south of the Nose, the most easterly point of the peninsula. Never heard of it being referred to as a headland (it's not connected) or formally as an area as it might lead to confusion due to Casana View being a fair bit away.

Edit: if the area is called anything it's either east mountain or Gerry O'Briens.

53° 22' 43"N 6° 02' 37"W

tricky D wrote: »
    It's a rock a few metres off the cliffs south of the Nose, the most easterly point of the peninsula. Never heard of it being referred to as a headland (it's not connected) or formally as an area as it might lead to confusion due to Casana View being a fair bit away.

Thanks for that. Any other detail I found about the name was, to me, unclear as to whether it referred to the rock, or the general area of the nearest cliffs.

Advertisement