Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could someone "check" this for me.

• 20-03-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

F0A46B972BFB47D491828D46D6260E24-0000334828-0002226375-00500L-DB51725A03FF4F808AF975EDC35AD5AB.jpg

Notice the band at the top of the image? It was on 3 other images of the same scene. I'm curious as to what it might be. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I see the band but cannot explain it. Is there anything reflective out of shot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Nope, not that I can think of, just the carpet and some sofa. No shading either from the coffee table or similar, that I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's really weird. Best guess: Your sensor is broken.

Zillah wrote: »
    That's really weird. Best guess: Your sensor is broken.

Oh nuts! :eek:

Edit: Anxiously checking other images - this doesn't seem to appear elsewhere...
    Remembers he was doing raw+jpg, this could hardly have done it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well it is just a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Try replicate the same camera setting setup including the Jpeg+RAW and see if it happens again.

If it was the sensor then you would most likely see it on every photo after when it first occured unless the room was exceptionally hot and caused a malfunction which still isnt good either situation.

If its not the sensor it could be the card messing up or even just a malfunction somewhere along the line of data from sensor->buffer->processor etc...

If it happens again try to note the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

If the subject was lit artificially, then

- if fluorescent or 'high efficiency' lighting, try with a slower shutter speed. (ie 1/20 instead of 1/50)

However, if the band appears at the top of the photo every time then lighting is not an issue.

How often does this happen? Does it ever happen with freshly charged batteries? Does it happen at different shutter speeds/apertures/ISO?

Try a different memory card.

Play around with these factors & hopefully you will at least be able to offer a camera expert enough info. to diagnose the problem quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Did this occur for both RAW & JPEG files?

Were there any successful shots of this set up without the band?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

band? i see the line of the chess board in the out of focus (bokeh! shhhh) region.

You were shooting at f1.7 50mm with close subjects, the out of focus/bokeh region is going to get pretty extreme.

maybe/possibly/guess?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    band? i see the line of the chess board in the out of focus (bokeh! shhhh) region.

You were shooting at f1.7 50mm with close subjects, the out of focus/bokeh region is going to get pretty extreme.

maybe/possibly/guess?

+1
    Can you take a picture of something like a white wall?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting that it happens at the edge of the chessboard - was the edge in frame for any of the other affected shots? was it on the edge this happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

maybe/possibly/guess?

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Has it happened with any other shots? At 1.7 your oof area is HUGE.

maybe/possibly/guess?

Depth of field would be a lot more of a gradual thing, wouldn't it? The "band" in the OP seems very sudden, to me (though I've never shot anything at f/1.7, so...)

Sure, but it could be the border of the board doing funky things to the blur. We really need to see a clean image like a white wall.

Thanks all you guys for the input! I'll take a picture of a wall, but not tonight - without wanting to seem ungrateful, I'm just in from a dinner....wouldn't do well to break out the camera!

I knew I'd get round to it. Took 2 shots of a magnolia/linen whatever they call it wall, one with flash, one without. There they be!
    83D5C3627E0343ED9A3C1F88EE8393B3-0000334828-0002231461-00800L-33E8C9017B6F4011B0D431349EE3B155.jpg

73F0521B531D41B4B1867B513B34BDC0-0000334828-0002231460-00500L-3A07D5C612F84487B3DBD41A0B06140E.jpg

Looks fine no banding at all. Could you also take a plan view photo of the chess board so that it is all sharp?
    I suspect that there is a striped border on it's edge that conspired to give a funky pattern, interference perhaps, when out of focus.

Advertisement