Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Optimising minecraft on linux + netbook

• 20-03-2011 7:09pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey I'm trying to make minecraft playable on my gfs netbook. It's an Asus eee pc 1000h running ubuntu. I started up the game and got 2-4 fps on normal settings. I turned everything down and got significant improvement but still not the best, having a tiny view distance etc.

I have tried:

gmabooster: did nothing
    optimiser: did nothing
    mcregion: makes the screen go black after login, so no go.
    caf-mod: did nothing

Is there anything else I can try, I am puzzled as to why these do nothing also although I have seen some people post similar.

Also if I start the game on low graphics I get the 2-4 fps again but if I then make everything high gfx and slowly lower the options one at a time to their worst, I get the better fps again? :confused:

Lastly, would it be faster on xp or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Try a simpler texture pack to see if that improves it

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104854

If that doesn't bump up your FPS, then its a CPU issue

EDIT: I just done a quick google and seemingly a lot of people complaining about performance on Linux. OSX and Windows OS is the way to go it seems :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks will give that a shot anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Try a simpler texture pack to see if that improves it

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=104854

If that doesn't bump up your FPS, then its a CPU issue

EDIT: I just done a quick google and seemingly a lot of people complaining about performance on Linux. OSX and Windows OS is the way to go it seems :/

Make Sure your running the official Sun/Oracle Java rather then the OpenJDK or the IcedTea versions of java. Both of theses are grand for web use but for minecraft the Sun Java is the way to go.

Never had performance issues with linux, runs a bit better on linux, less crashes

Edit

Insdtructions for setting up Sun JRE
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ maverick partner"
    sudo apt-get remove openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk*
    sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre

sudo update-alternatives --config java

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, I am using the sun jvm, it must just be the processor.

In fairness mincraft is fairly resource heavy and java isn't the fastest language out there.

I've seen it stuggle on modren Pentiums/Centrinos ect......

The atom wont cut it unfourtanatly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

It's a bit of a pig on my MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs RAM), might see how it goes on a Windows machine later on.

I keep the view to the second lowest and it runs OK on that but the fan does be going full blast while playing it.

Running Debian Sid

Settings at high

2.6Ghz Core2duo
    4gb Ram
    1gb Nvidia Gt240m

Fans running full blast at a toasty 78°C after 3 hours minecraft :eek:

Advertisement