Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roast Striploin of Beef for dinner

Options
  • 20-03-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

I got a good deal on about 1kg of striploin beef. I am cooking it today for dinner so does anyone have any nice tips? I usually seal beef on the outside and then roast slowly, covered in tin foil. Anyone know if this is the best way and how long it should take? I want very tender, med-med rare beef.

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: I should also say that it's probably only half way defrosted, so may need longer in the oven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

Have you tried boiling it?

Thats what I do and its really awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Have you tried boiling it?

Thats what I do and its really awesome

No never, tell me more?

I usually add salt and pepper and boil it for about 35 minutes.

Simple and delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Make up a paste of english mustard, soy sauce, ground star anise and seasoning. Rub on the beef before you put in to roast. nom

Thanks Rory, but then I wouldn't have any fabulous gravy from the juices, so I think i'll stick to roasting it.

Anyone else know how long it should take for med to med rare?

• Advertisement

I usually add a drop of cream and some flour to the water when its done and thats my gravy.

Thanks for the good ideas folks! Although I'm more looking for how long the roast will take rather than what to marinate it in, etc. Should it be slow roasted, and at what temp etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

First thing I would do is fully defrost it. Fry the out side in a really hot pan sealing the whole piece of meat. Cook at about 180 C for about an hour. It should be nice and pink in the middle. When it's cooked rub some crushed sea salt on the outside. Yum yum!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

PI'd certainly deforst it fully and bring it toward room temperature. Then oven for 20min at 230dC then down to 160dC for 45min. Rest for at least 20min.

Unfortunately defrosting fully isn't possible - we don't have a microwave and we need to eat it today.. I think it's nearly defrosted, it's pretty pliable - it's probably just the very middle that is still frozen. I don't mind, I'm going to slow roast it anyway I've decided and hopefully that'll keep in tender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement