Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Source

Options
  • 20-03-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭

Just back from one of my many weekends in Sligo. Great time as usual, the place was fairly lively with the food festival, we went to The Source for food. Excellent local produce, the Lisadel oysters were beautiful. Beef carpaccio was stunning, nice decor, nice staff, good atmosphere... Long may it last, good addition to the town in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I've heard from friends that it is nice but not worth the price. Many other restaurants around the area are offering better value. Haven't tried it myself yet but am looking forward to doing so. I would love to do one of their cookery evenings also, they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I found it quite good, and not too overpriced.

The presentation of food was a bit 'odd' for me. I had the lamb when I was there and while it was lovely, it came in a bowl with the rest of the mash etc... under the joint. I couldn't move the bones out of the way and had to leave it on my oh's plate. I would be used to getting a big plate and having the space to move around..

That's my only criticism though. Other than that, it was really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Was thinking of going to Sligo soon for a weekend and I read in the sunday papers that Conrad Gallagher has opened a restaurant there, that he is doing special meal offers on. Any reports if its good or bad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

gigino wrote: »
    Was thinking of going to Sligo soon for a weekend and I read in the sunday papers that Conrad Gallagher has opened a restaurant there, that he is doing special meal offers on. Any reports if its good or bad ?

My mother went for a meal there and got a serious case of food poisoning. Not a huge issue in and of itself, probably can happen at any restaurant. How she was dealt with when she brought it to their attention is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've heard from friends that it is nice but not worth the price. Many other restaurants...

I was only in the tapas bar, it's very good value I had six oysters for €7, I think the carpaccio was €7 too. What other restaurants are offering that type of fare for that price? I would love to try them. Cheers.

Gigino, I am not sure if Gallagher has anything to do with The Source, were did you here this? Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I have been in it a few times for lunch, its a beautiful place .. they do a lunchtime special - bowl of soup with a small "main course" for 13 euros, both of which was really nice .. it was served as one course .. plus there was loads of fresh bread which kept on coming!

I went up on the top floor to take a few photos down O'Connell street at the SO Street party on Sat, thats where the school is ..its looks well and nicely done, there was people there having food at the time .. I think it was the fishing and cooking course .. that would be nice one to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I was only in the tapas bar, it's very good value I had six oysters for €7, I think the carpaccio was €7 too. What other restaurants are offering that type of fare for that price? I would love to try them. Cheers.

Gigino, I am not sure if Gallagher has anything to do with The Source, were did you here this? Thanks...

That is good value for the tapas actually, I'm only going on a friends report who had the main course dish. Hargadons do very good food, The Glasshouse Hotel and Shenanigans are also quite good. As is the french restaurant Montmarte in the Marketyard and Coachlane at Donaghys.

Conrad Gallagher's restaurant is in the Model Arts Centre on The Mall, ate there once and had a mixed view of it, some parts were very good but the actual meat we had wasn't very nice. Maybe it was just the cut we had though as the rest of it was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hargadons do very good food, The Glasshouse Hotel and Shenanigans are also quite good. As is the french restaurant Montmarte in the Marketyard and Coachlane at Donaghys

I have tried a good few of those restaurants and I don't think they all do similar fare tapas at that price to be honest. I hope it lasts, that building can't come cheap!!

I read some awful stuff about Gallagher and the mess he left behind him in South Africa. I would find it hard to go there for those reasons!

Let us know how you get on when you do try it, and enjoy.

Advertisement