Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to pour a can of Guinness.

Options
  • 20-03-2011 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Well as the thread title says have any of you conisseurs of Guinness here know the way to a perfect pint of Guinness from a can.

I find myself doing it hit and miss and the pint dont be very creamy so I need some advice!!!

Cheers..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Guinness from a can?

Blegh.

Doesnt taste the same, no matter what,they cant recreate the freshly poured pint taste out of a can imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Guinness from a can?

Blegh.

Doesnt taste the same, no matter what,they cant recreate the freshly poured pint taste out of a can imo.

I can do it better sometimes but I heard on the radio that scientists in UCD iirc put the perfect pour down to maths..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

tis all a bit BS to me, unless your looking for the "perfect looking" pint. just chuck it out and sup it down :) whatever is in the can cannot be magically changed in taste upon pouring

adamski8 wrote: »
    tis all a bit BS to me, unless your looking for the "perfect looking" pint. just chuck it out and sup it down :) whatever is in the can cannot be magically changed in taste upon pouring

I suppose you are right their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

If it's a draught can (the one with the widget), then open it with a swift clean pull and let it settle until it stops making noise. I find it handiest to hold the glass at nearly a horizontal angle to begin with and start pouring the can slowly and gently onto the side of the glass, all the time straightening up the glass until it's full and the can is upside down.

if you do it too fast or hold the can too far away from the glass you'll end up with loads of head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Drop it from about 4feet then shake it for approx 2mins, then you will get the perfect pint from a can.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    If it's a draught can (the one with the widget), then open it with a swift clean pull and let it settle until it stops making noise. I find it handiest to hold the glass at nearly a horizontal angle to begin with and start pouring the can slowly and gently onto the side of the glass, all the time straightening up the glass until it's full and the can is upside down.

if you do it too fast or hold the can too far away from the glass you'll end up with loads of head.

You are a legend!!. I done that now and its perfect good health..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

meh, open it and pour it straight into the glass, always works fine for me, can't see any reason why it would be better after letting it settle in the can.

I actually find the draught cans to be pretty good - not as good a decent pint from a pub, but I've had a lot worse pints in bad pubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Don't like draught cans at all but letting it settle in the can defeats the purpose altogether. From a presentation point of view you are best cracking the can just barely open and letting the 'fizz' settle for a few seconds, then open fully and pour down the side of the glass to avoid bubbling, leaving you with a nice creamy head.

For all other beers the 'side pour' is a big no-no - plonk the beer into the glass in order to give you a good big head but never let it over flow as you will than loose some gas. To be correct about it when you pour you should have a high miniscus which is proud of the glass and you should 'cut' same with a knife which will seal the beer keeping good head and flavour throughout.

Home drinking rule 1-O-1: Never, ever, put your beer drinking glasses in a dishwasher. Always wash by hand with warm water and allow to dry naturally. When drinking good beer occasionally rinse the glass with cold water (after every second bottle) and give it a bit of a shake before you pour you next beer.

I didn't suggest to let it settle in the can, just to wait for it to stop making noise because when you pull the ring cap, the oxygen that gets in makes the widget spin around for a couple seconds which creates nitrogen, which in turn creates the head. It's written on the side of the can or at least used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the widget just releases the compressed nitrogen into the beer; once the can is open nothing you do is going to prevent that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Was told (while pouring at the 'angle') that the cans were designed to just tip upside down and let empty right in to the glass. That's how I've been pouring since and it seems to be just right every time.

(I could've been lied to though.......).

chin_grin wrote: »
    Was told (while pouring at the 'angle') that the cans were designed to just tip upside down and let empty right in to the glass. That's how I've been pouring since and it seems to be just right every time.

(I could've been lied to though.......).

But that just gives you a big frothy head! Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I drink it straight from the can... as I eat frozen onion rings from the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    But that just gives you a big frothy head! Yuck!

............But..............I thought that was the point? :p

chin_grin wrote: »
    ............But..............I thought that was the point? :p

Hope you're kidding dude!:eek::eek::eek:

Ye're getting a bit carried away with this one lads :pac:

Do it right or don't do it at all dude! ;)

I think your way is the best. A pint of stout is supposed to have a good head.

Anyway I got cans of Murphys today and they are delicious. I poured them the same way and I find them nicer than Arthur.:)

Yeah same here. I find the draught Beamish is a little smoother too and they're both a bit easier on the pocket :D

• Advertisement

Yeah same here. I find the draught Beamish is a little smoother too and they're both a bit easier on the pocket :D

Thats true allthough they were the same price today in Dunnes allthough 8 cans of Arthur was gone up to 13 euro. I was going to get the Smithwicks but I spotted the Murphys and thought I would try it. I am 98% Cork man now..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Doin a lot of research on this tonight, have cracked open 6 cans so far and I think Im nearly there now:D

Open can and allow to fizz up, then pour, and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Doin a lot of research on this tonight, have cracked open 6 cans so far and I think Im nearly there now:D

Open can and allow to fizz up, then pour, and enjoy.

Reminds me of the picture of a homeless guy with a sign that says "Need money for alcohol research"!

Advertisement