Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair Ban and closure of so called "Duplicate Accounts"

Options
  • 20-03-2011 7:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11

This dispute is with a moderator called "jor el". He claims I set up duplicate accounts for myself with the sole intention of spamming the same Dropbox Referral mesaage. I have an account on Boards.ie with the username: Eoing008. A couple of weeks ago, I browsed the Boards.ie forum as I do periodically. I came across a sub-forum describing the chance to 'refer' fellow Boards.ie members to Dropbox, thereby gaining 250mb of referral space for myself and the other member of Boards.ie to and on Dropbox.
    I am currently studying for an MsC in Computing in Griffith College Dublin and have completed a Graduate Diploma in Computing from the aforementioned College. For this and several other competency related reasons, I oversee and manage to some greater or lesser extent my Mother's Home and Business e-mail, bills, computer and related areas. I thought it a good idea on my Mother's behalf to put a referral link on this Dropbox sub-forum page for both her personal and business e-mail addresses on Boards.ie Admittedly this may come across as 'acting in the grey area of things but nevertheless, it was done for the best of reasons and only with good intentions. I only posted on behalf of my Mother, who's Boards.ie username is: Hilary2010 and who's business username is: Carmel1987, or at least they were until "jor el" deigned it appropriate to ban both after one post. He said and I quote " I don't believe a word of that story. You really should put more of an effort into it." My Mother did not, or should I restate that, I did nothing wrong on my Mother's behalf. She has as much right to post on Boards.ie in the future as any other person and may I add that "jor el" informed me without prior comment, utterance or mention that and again I quote from his Private Message to me dated the 20/03/2011 at 10:14am "This wouldn't be the first time someone from the Ranelagh Dental has spammed Boards either." This I find libelous. I never mentioned 'Ranelagh Dental' to "jor el". The Dental Surgery, the business I refer to is a Dental Surgery established in the 1970's in Clondalkin. How exactly does Mr "jor el" know I have connections with Ranelagh Dental?
    With regard to my month long ban, to be frank it doesn't bother me much. I am not a frequent user of Boards.ie. However on the principle of the matter, I have a few words to say. Admittedly I did not read the terms and conditions of the "Biz" sub-forum. It may state that you cannot repeatedly post a referral thread. I did this, I admit. For myself though, not for anyone else. I did not, however do it for my Mother's home or business Boards.ie accounts. In defense of my actions, I got over excited and did not think and have already learnt my lesson. May I add, that I did check to see if anyone was doing as I was intending to do. They were and I have my doubts that they were treated as harshly? Finally if you punish for this issue, which encourages this type of repeat "spam" like (not my words) posting, then I have reservations about your site's patience, Irishness, and durability.

Eoin Garvey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Eoing008 wrote:
    I am currently studying for an MsC in Computing in Griffith College Dublin and have completed a Graduate Diploma in Computing from the aforementioned College.

I fail to see the relevance of this comment. For your information I hold a Ph.D. in Physics, but that does not impact on my comments here.
    Eoing008 wrote: »
    I never mentioned 'Ranelagh Dental' to "jor el". The Dental Surgery, the business I refer to is a Dental Surgery established in the 1970's in Clondalkin. How exactly does Mr "jor el" know I have connections with Ranelagh Dental?

You provided your mother's name to jor el. A simple google search reveals that she does indeed have a long-established practice in Clondalkin, but has also recently setup a practice in Ranelagh. The webpage for Ranelagh Dental actually mentions the practice in Clondalkin.

All this information is in the public domain, and unless your mother is hiding the existence of a second dental practice from you, I would be sceptical of your claim to not have any knowledge of the Ranelagh practice.
    Eoing008 wrote:
    Finally if you punish for this issue, which encourages this type of repeat "spam"

The whole area of referrals is allowed on a case by case basis - though generally not for monetary gain. However, we request that users do not act the muppet and that they do not spam the thread. In your case, there is a strong case to be made in the area of spamming.

The Hilary2010 and Carmel1987 accounts were created within 12 minutes of each other in March 2010, while your own account was created in December 2007. Posts from the Hilary2010 and Carmel1987 accounts were made within minutes of being registered and these are the only posts that these accounts have made on Boards. They have made no other contribution to the site. Therefore, given all these triggers, it is easy to see how they can be viewed as spamming.

In your own case, your account posted 3 times in the thread. Again this would be viewed as spamming.

By your own admission, you are not concerned with the ban, and therefore I would suggest that it stand. The main reason for this being that you did indeed spam Boards from 3 separate accounts, 2 of which were created at the same time as the spamming.

As an addendum, I would further caution you against using your mother's business name and reputation without considering the damage that you may incur while acting on her behalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Eoing008

fail to see the relevance of this comment. For your information I hold a Ph.D. in Physics, but that does not impact on my comments here.
    The relevance of this comment was simple. I am a competent and appropriate person to deal with my family business's Computer affairs. I hope that is clear now.
    You provided your mother's name to jor el. A simple google search reveals that she does indeed have a long-established practice in Clondalkin
    Congratulations 'Dudara' on mastering "Google". Again you missed the point, which was that 'jor el' informed me without prior of any mention at all that I was not the first person from Ranelagh Dental to "spam" Boards.ie. This is libelous. I would like him to clarify what he means unless you want me contact a Solicitor on this issue, which by the way I would have no problem doing.
    Finally I have no problem with my month ban. The issue at hand is two fold. 'Jor el' say it fit to ban permanently my mother's account permanently after one legitimate post . My mother did not spam or libel anyone. Why can it be justified for her to be banned? I have satisfactorily rebutted any argument 'Jor el' has put forward with regard to both of Hilary's accounts so why do they remain banned?
    The whole area of referrals is allowed on a case by case basis - though generally not for monetary gain.

There was no monetary gain in what was done by Hilary 2010 or Carmel1987. In fact there have been no effective contributions from either. Hilary is in South Africa on a family matter and I haven't been over to Clondalkin to inform the staff there that I had even set up an account for them there. However if things remain the same, there is no point especially if 'Jor el' groundless argument is maintained.
    The Hilary2010 and Carmel1987 accounts were created within 12 minutes of each other in March 2010, while your own account was created in December 2007. Posts from the Hilary2010 and Carmel1987 accounts were made within minutes of being registered and these are the only posts that these accounts have made on Boards. They have made no other contribution to the site.
    Yes but both accounts were banned within 48 hours of registering on Boards.ie without the chance to make any contributions to the community or express any original opinions. Both of these I would like to think are reasons for making a online forum at all?
    In your own case, your account posted 3 times in the thread. Again this would be viewed as spamming.

I accept my month ban. I am arguing on my mother's personal account "permanent ban" and the Surgery 's "permanent ban " also.
    By your own admission, you are not concerned with the ban, and therefore I would suggest that it stand.
    This is no longer the issue.
    The main reason for this being that you did indeed spam Boards from 3 separate accounts, 2 of which were created at the same time as the spamming.
    I did not spam from Hilary's account or the Surgery's staff account. If you look at the respective accounts and their posts, you will see a seperate dropbox referral code and comment. There is no denial on my part that I set these accounts. I am not getting into why this is the case. I have clarified this above. Yes I posted the first post of each account, but 1). They are not my accounts . 2). Real person(s) are now involved with them 3) The e-mail addresses associated with each is real and not duplicated 4). There are real and earned computers associated with each account. 5) Each account has a legitimate 'real-life' address which is different to the previous one. Post something to them if you have doubts.
    As an addendum, I would further caution you against using your mother's business name and reputation without considering the damage that you may incur while acting on her behalf.
    Considering 'Jor el' has some issues with a business that I told him nothing about or never said anything about I find this mildly ironic. I do nothing to hamper the aspirations, goals, success or viability of any business of any of my family members. I resent the insinuation and would like you to clarify in person. If you have any issues. Ring me. <snip> I'll meet you and we can sort out the problems face-to face.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Hilary2010 and Carmel1987 accounts were created purely to post referral links on Boards. Their future usefulness to the site is purely speculative, the bans on these accounts will not be lifted.

Eoing008 sitebanned for making legal threats against Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Eoing008 wrote: »
    The relevance of this comment was simple. I am a competent and appropriate person to deal with my family business's Computer affairs. I hope that is clear now.

An appropriate person to deal with your family business computer affairs would not use spam or bring it into disrepute.
    Eoing008 wrote:
    Congratulations 'Dudara' on mastering "Google".

Thank you - I'm really quite proud of myself too on that one. I'm getting to grips with this new-fangled technology. Tomorrow I might try Twitter.
    I have satisfactorily rebutted any argument 'Jor el' has put forward with regard to both of Hilary's accounts so why do they remain banned?

To the contrary - there has been no satisfactory contra-evidence presented to substantiate the validity of the two accounts.

Advertisement