Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logic on a "Mini Mac"?

Options
  • 20-03-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I've always kinda' wanted to use Logic, but as it's on a "mac" I could never really justify the expense of having two computers. I use my PC for work (including some software I cannot use on a mac). But I see that "Mini Macs" are not that expensive these days. So I was thinking of buying one and grabbing a copy of Logic. Maybe up the ram and to 4 gigs use an external HD for storing samples.

Do you think it's possible to run it from a "Mini Mac" and still get decent results from the specs? Sorry, if it sounds daft - But I'm a noob when it comes to Apple Macs. :)

Thanks in advance!

Rob.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Baggio... wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've always kinda' wanted to use Logic, but as it's on a "mac" I could never really justify the expense of having two computers. I use my PC for work (including some software I cannot use on a mac). But I see that "Mini Macs" are not that expensive these days. So I was thinking of buying one and grabbing a copy of Logic. Maybe up the ram and to 4 gigs use an external HD for storing samples.

Do you think it's possible to run it from a "Mini Mac" and still get decent results from the specs? Sorry, if it sounds daft - But I'm a noob when it comes to Apple Macs. :)

Thanks in advance!

iRob.

hey roberto, I use a 2009 mac mini for playing out live with ableton and although I have logic installed on my imac I can't see any problems with installing and using logic on the mini, only thing would be to save all the apple loops that come with the program on an external as the whole package weighs in at 70+ gb with program and loops.

as regards upping the ram that would help but decent ram is expensive enough! I haven't noticed any need to ram up with logic as there are right and wrong way of using it to produce a track and spare the ram.

after looking at the specs of the latest mac mini male sure the hard drive in the cheaper of the 2 (which I presume you're looking at) spins at least 7200rpm. I see the dearer one has a 500gb hd that they stat does spin at 7200. if the cheaper one is slower it will be sluggish with logic.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

I know someone who used to use one of the old Mac Minis for his tracks.. no probs.

Like any computer.. Get the max ram and fastest processor you can.

Not sure what the craic is with the Mini's - but check out if you can install the extra ram yourself. If you can, you'll be able to buy the ram for cheaper elsewhere & stick it in yourself.

Never buy ram or extra HD's from Apple. Crazy expensive.

You could always run one or more external HDs into it.. and have samples / whatever you want. Think its got a firewire port - but you'll possibly want that for a Soundcard? Theres 4 USB on it too, so you have them too, of course.

My advice, based on experience is: Before you buy anything, check out any "Problem with USB / Firewire and xxxx with OSX Mac Mini" on google. Save any compatibility issues that you might potentially have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses - so it's lookin' good for the "mini". But I'll do a google check just on the off chance as suggested. :)

But I'm really looking forward to my Drum & Bass journey with Logic. Sweet!

Thanks again!

Rob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

ICN wrote: »
    I know someone who used to use one of the old Mac Minis for his tracks.. no probs.

My advice, based on experience is: Before you buy anything, check out any "Problem with USB / Firewire and xxxx with OSX Mac Mini" on google. Save any compatibility issues that you might potentially have.

I've connected an akai apc40, mpk61 and m-audio firewire interface thru mine with no hitches, works like a dream in that regard, you can change the ram yourself and the latest mini may have 4 ram slots (not 100% on that and too chilled to check) and with a swap for a ssd a couple of years down the road it should prove to be a machine for the long haul

They go up to 8 gig Ram now.

Always check for compatibility with your exact set-up.

Happy days.

• Advertisement

Aye, happy days indeed!! I'll definitely have a look at the the set up before hand - just to check everything, as you said to mate. :)

I found this too, which was kinda' interesting. Except I'll be using my Access Virus as the Audio Interface.

http://www.logicstudioblog.com/2008/07/tight-budget-logic-studio-on-mac-mini.html

One thing tho', I wont be buying Logic from the Apple store as it's virtually a 100 quid more expensive than Amazon. *Grrrr...*

Thanks again guys! :)

Keep your eyes on Adverts - Musical instruments section.. Theres nearly always a copy of Studio up for grabs every month or so..

Heres one here: http://www.adverts.ie/other-music-instruments-equipment/logic-studio/507741

L9 Studio - €200.

Looks to be gone, but might be worth sticking your name on it incase it falls through.

Cool bro'! I wouldn't have actually thought of adverts to be honest. I'll be watching that one now for sure. :)

Thanks!!!

Advertisement