Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland bullying Labrador

• 20-03-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi I am having an issue with my two dogs, one being a large male Newfoundland and the other being a very small male Labrador. They are usually the best of pals but in the last six months or so the Newfoundland has matured sexually and has started being extremely aggressive to the other dog. This only occurs when either my wife or I are in the area.
    I haven't a clue how to stop the Newfoundland, they are both the sweetest dogs but it has gotten to the stage now that the Lab is too scared to approach us for fear of being attacked by my Newfie. Any help would be of great help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey OP, how old are they? Are either neutered, is this an option?

How do you react when something happens? How is their general obedience?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rubberducky1888

Neither dog is neutered. The lab is 3 and the Newfie is 2. I suppose neutering is an option but I rather that it would be the very last resort. The Newfie is well behaved around people and has only shown aggression to the Lab when there is a chance of some attention from people

Well neutering might help, it can be difficult for 2 intact males to get along. It also helps avoid certain cancers. However it's a personal choice and something you should discuss with your vet before making any decisions as there are some very slight risks involved too.

I'd make sure to spend time training together as well as seperately. If you're giving attention to your lab and the newfie doesn't like it, I would take him by the collar with no conversation at all, and put him out of the room. If you can get it into his head that him fighting for attention has the opposite effect he might stop. (2 mins outside then back in to continue what you were doing. If you have to do it ten times a night, stick with it, you might have to get up and down a lot but I reckon it will work eventually). Of course, only do this if it's safe to do so.

They're both big dogs and a real fight would be horrific, it would be worth your while getting an expert involved.

Do you know if the newfie is serious or if it's just a bit of teeth gnashing?

Try to get one on one time with each dog every day too, just for cuddles, a game etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think this is normal behavior for dogs, one usually bullys the other until a pack order is established and the weaker one submits, only problem I see is if your Lab decides he is not submitting then its trouble.

I agree to an extent, but you should be able to give either dog affection as you wish without the other displaying aggression. It's natural, but understandable for the OP to need to put a stop to it. In my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement