Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like my Iphone but considering switching to Emobile with none available !

Options
  • 20-03-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Im not really too up to speed on differant kinds of mobiles or whats available on differant phones. I dont have a clue what the hell Android means (did a bit of searching here and couldnt find a layman explanation!).

Basically, the most important thing for me is signal for calls (I use it for work), but since I got a free Iphone 3G I have loved the phone. Mainly because :
    • my music,
    • Ease to download podcasts
    • I can use it easily on PC
    • Can sync with PC
    • Emails
    • Can connect to Wi-fi
    • Ease of downloadable apps
    • Calender
    • Camera/recorder
    I would certainly consider moving to emobile for their great offer (all calls and texts for 49e) but I am not sure what mobile I could get that would offer me as much as my Iphone.

Can I use my downloaded music/games (from Itunes) on any new phone if its on my laptop ?

Is there a phone that you can easily download podcasts (like you can with Iphone) ?

I suppose I am a creature of habit and I like my Iphone but I dont want to stay with an operator because of it!

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

You could jailbreak & unlock your iPhone and use it with eMobile

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Is it that you now have an iPhone and want to move to emobile? Why not get your network to unlock it and then move?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for replies everybody . .

Is this jailbreak/unlock feature easy + Cheap ?

Does that mean I can use my IPHONE with all its apps and utilities with emobile ?

God, there was a time when I would know all this stuff. Im only in my 30s and Im nearly as techno challanged as my dad! ! !

Jail breaking is one route
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

But why cant you get your network to unlock it for you? It makes life a little easier especially based on your tech skills (your words).
    What network are you with? If you're with O2 and on pre pay you can get O2 to unlock it for you after you've spent more than 150 on credit. If you're with O2 on bill pay and now out of contract you can get them to unlock it. Just give them a ring or post on their forum. It's pretty much the same for any another network you'd be with

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Getting the phone unloceked from your current network provider is the best thing to do. Just go into the store and ask them and they should give it to you no problem. Then get your new emobile sim and stick it in, connect to itunes and itunes will give you a carrier update so it will work, if it does not do that you will have to enter a few settings in manually but that is not hard.

Hope this helps,
    Adam

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the tips.

I am currently with Vodafone, so i presume if I go into one of their stores, I just ask them to unlock it ? Do they usually ask why and can they refuse ? Just curious as is there any other reason why I would want my phone unlocked other then to use it with another provider ?

Drumpot wrote: »

I am currently with Vodafone, so i presume if I go into one of their stores, I just ask them to unlock it ? Do they usually ask why and can they refuse ?

They'd only refuse if you hadn't spent enough on your pay as you go credit since buying the phone or if you were still in contract with them on bill pay.

I am currently with Vodafone, so i presume if I go into one of their stores, I just ask them to unlock it ? Do they usually ask why and can they refuse ? Just curious as is there any other reason why I would want my phone unlocked other then to use it with another provider ?

They should be ok with it once you match the criteria:
    for bill pay, it's usally the full term of the contract, (typically 18 months),
    if it was a pre-pay account, the account will had to of been topped up by at least €127 in the time the phone was registered to the account, or since the phone was registered to that account (bought).

You can ask the lads on the Vodafone forums here to unlock the phone. Just post a thread here and follow their instructions. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1270

Hope this helps,
    Adam

Thanks again all.

Not sure how long is left in my contract but I know its at least 6 months. It would actually be cheaper for me to buy out my contract.

Is there any other way of getting it unlocked ? I think ive seen those little phone shops in shopping centres that offer to unlock phones, does it cost much and is that an alternative ?

Thanks again.

Not sure how long is left in my contract but I know its at least 6 months. It would actually be cheaper for me to buy out my contract.

Is there any other way of getting it unlocked ? I think ive seen those little phone shops in shopping centres that offer to unlock phones, does it cost much and is that an alternative ?

Ask the lads on the forum first. They might unlock it for you anyway. Just ask first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement