Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog in heat

• 20-03-2011 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

hi all my mams little yorkie is on her period! she's 14months old was due to be spayed two weeks ago but she was poorly.

We've only ever had dogs not bitches,so dont really know what to do or if we should do anything...sorry to be graffic but there are no drops of blood i only noticed a stain on my jeans when she got off my lap. Dont know if she had one already!

Any info greatly appriciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Those little drops of blood are just spotting. She wont do this the whole time, like humans. There's nothing really you can do while she's in heat only to keep her INSIDE!! Please don't take her walking as if a male dog smells that she's in heat there could be trouble. Just keep her comfortable and she'll be fine. Heats usually last around 3 weeks.

Sorry just re read that there are no drops of blood... This will be normal too as not all dogs spot. What makes you think that she's in heat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Even if you're bringing her out to an enclosed garden to do her business then make sure to still be keeping an eye all the time. And absolutely no letting her off the lead when you're walking her.

The ingenuity of horny dogs in overcoming adversity is a thing to behold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

She probably has just started her heat so you will notice more blood around the place soon.
    They are in heat for around 21 days so please be very careful with her and dont leave her outside un supervised as dogs will climb walls and fences to get to a bitch in heat.
    If you have entire male dogs please keep them separated at all times until she is over her season.
    You dont need to do anything as such, it will just run its course. Some bitches go off their food, feel a little sorry for themselves and can also wee a lot more so be prepared to let her out to the toilet a lot more or even prepare for some accidents around the house especially at night time as they need to go a lot more during their season and can squat a lot trying to pee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

You will need to be very careful with her for three weeks. When outside keep her on lead.

I see that you can buy something resembling nappies now for dogs while they are in heat. If you don't have appropriate facilities for a dog in heat I suppose they could be useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

she's very restless and mad trying to get out of the garden, mam has her in all the time though only out to do her wee's. she's barking at every little noise too, i suppose it's hormones

poor thing! sort of know how she feels lol:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You will need to be very careful with her for three weeks. When outside keep her on lead.

I see that you can buy something resembling nappies now for dogs while they are in heat. If you don't have appropriate facilities for a dog in heat I suppose they could be useful

I would still not trust those nappies, dogs will do anything to get to bitches in heat. My neighbour strapped a pair of boxers onto her dog (very young dog I might add :mad:) thinking they would stop her male dog from getting at her, the poor dog ended up having a litter of pups at only 7 or 8 months old because of it. :mad: Unless of course you mean the nappies are just for catching the blood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Yeah I think they are to catch the blood if the dog is being kept inside the house. Suppose there could be a market for a dog chastity belt but have never heard of it. If I design and build it, you can market it on Dragon's Den and we will split the investment money 50/50

Cheers for the replies guys,
    she has started to "hump" a lot aswell like stuffed toys and my dog!!she seems to be enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!! is this normal? never seen or heard of a female dog humping!!! If so will this go once she's neutered?

There's not much blood at all coming from her only if she brushes of something...but she stinks to high hell!!!she's only a tiny little thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ashblag wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys,
    she has started to "hump" a lot aswell like stuffed toys and my dog!!she seems to be enjoying it!!!!!!!!!!!! is this normal? never seen or heard of a female dog humping!!! If so will this go once she's neutered?

There's not much blood at all coming from her only if she brushes of something...but she stinks to high hell!!!she's only a tiny little thing anyway.

Yep, its normal. Its the hormones. A bitch will want to be mated when shes ready so she will be looking for a dog to mate with so could even cry and howl as she wants a dog so the humping is normal.

andreac wrote: »
    Yep, its normal. Its the hormones. A bitch will want to be mated when shes ready so she will be looking for a dog to mate with so could even cry and howl as she wants a dog so the humping is normal.

thanks andreac,that'll put my mam at ease...just out of interest is this why it's suggested now to have a bitch neutered before her first heat to stop all this? Seems really unfair to the dog!
    Our vet said around 6months is the best?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

lol....this thread reminded me of this::

Noel Shinnors of the Limerick Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said: "I’ve heard instances in Clare where criminals, knowing there was a guard dog, would bring in a bitch in heat and leave her off. A boxer is a big enough dog, but sedatives can knock out even the biggest dog cold in just a few minutes."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sncwmhkfau/#ixzz1HGudKbHo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sncwmhkfau/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

Well thats one reason to have her neutered before her first heat, the other is to reduce the chance of mammary cancer.

If a bitch is neutered before her first heat, then the chances of her getting mammary cancer is reduced by 99%. If she is neutered after her first heat but before her second, the chance of preventing mammary cancer is reduced to 90%. If she's done then after her second heat, the chances of preventing it is reduced to 70%..... and so on.

Advertisement