Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's college life like at LYIT?

Options
  • 20-03-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

what are the people/campus/accomadation/everything etc like here?! thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

horrible! I have never seen such a bunch of greasy looking uglies under one roof before! <snip mod edit> Letterkenny is quite busy for nightlife but it really is not worth it as fights tend to break out alot due to the huge social housing there. If you have any chance of getting in go to Uni..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

smugchik, no problem in voicing your opinion, but lets keep the financial reasons out of it as it could draw un-wanted attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

smugchik, no problem in voicing your opinion, but lets keep the financial reasons out of it as it could draw un-wanted attention.

sorry. did not mean to offend...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StarCollision

My sister goes and she loves it, says that most of the lecturers are fantastic.
    I can't tell you much about the campus, looked great when I was at the open day, looks like the facilities are really good, I don't know where you're from so maybe you were already there.
    Can't tell you anything about the accommodation as my sister lives at home but I've been looking into it myself. My sister told me to avoid most of the student accommodation and maybe look into renting a house with some people?

If you have any questions you'd like me to ask her, feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm in my third year now, it can get a bit dull at times with Letterkenny not exactly the most exciting town in the world but then to be fair the nightlife is pretty good.

The college itself, good moden facilities, my lecturers are all friendly and easy to talk to.

People, much the same as anywhere else in the country I guess

Obviously with accommodation it depends on age and what sort of place you're looking for. If you're young, want to meet new people and all that then the student halls in Ballyraine are worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

Great place to go to, majority of lecturers and students are all get on. Good mix of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 conor_ire

Went to LYIT from 04-08. Was a pure savage town then. Think with Voodoo opening it has lost of what made it great, became a bit more commercial and lost the dingyness that used to make it great craic, still go back from time to time and it is always a great night out.

Very good college to go too, great enviornment, nice and small so you know a good amount of the students, modern and for the most part the lecturers keep a good standard.

The only downside with Letterkenny is that it literally rains every day of the year and the winters can get painfully cold. But you get pretty used to it and the town is savage for house parties.

conor_ire wrote: »
    Went to LYIT from 04-08. Was a pure savage town then. Think with Voodoo opening it has lost of what made it great, became a bit more commercial and lost the dingyness that used to make it great craic, still go back from time to time and it is always a great night out.

Very good college to go too, great enviornment, nice and small so you know a good amount of the students, modern and for the most part the lecturers keep a good standard.

The only downside with Letterkenny is that it literally rains every day of the year and the winters can get painfully cold. But you get pretty used to it and the town is savage for house parties.

The SU and Voodoo/Ink are at war these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jelly12

Letterkenny is definitely a good place to go to college, the night life is good enough it can be a bit quiet certain times of the year but everywhere can. I have rarely seen fights on student nights but have heard they can be plentiful at the weekend, it is alot smaller than the cities obviously but this gives you a better chance to get to know more people. The college it self has good facilities, I can only speak for the dept of science and nursing but the lecturers are great and really pro students in my experience. Accommodation varies as everywhere, you just have to get in early to get the best but its mostly very reasonably priced. The only downfall is parking its a nightmare plus the canteen food is not amazing. But overall I've found it a good experience and the craic is good but then again college is what you make it...

jelly12 wrote: »
    Letterkenny is definitely a good place to go to college, the night life is good enough it can be a bit quiet certain times of the year but everywhere can. I have rarely seen fights on student nights but have heard they can be plentiful at the weekend, it is alot smaller than the cities obviously but this gives you a better chance to get to know more people. The college it self has good facilities, I can only speak for the dept of science and nursing but the lecturers are great and really pro students in my experience. Accommodation varies as everywhere, you just have to get in early to get the best but its mostly very reasonably priced. The only downfall is parking its a nightmare plus the canteen food is not amazing. But overall I've found it a good experience and the craic is good but then again college is what you make it...

Never been outside Milan every single Wednesday at 3am? lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jelly12

"rarely" fair enough maybe there is nd i just don't see them.. probably bcuz i tend to avoid milan where possible for that reason and the fact that it largely resembles a teenage disco... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sa100

wheres the best accom for 1st years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

See this thread, depends on what you're looking for obviously

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055627103

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aisling 2011

I have just finished my first year in LYIT and i love it!! LYIT wasnt my first choice for college but i wouldnt look back now. I would recommend it to anyone! and as for fights, i have only seen one all year. i moved into Letterkenny Student Accommodation this year and im booked in again for this year! highly recommended!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ronnie25

yeah im in the same boat myself
    starting in septemeber
    im a mature student im 25
    accomadation seems to be hard to find not much on daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Some things to do in and around letterkenny

Arena 7 Leisure Complex
    www.arena7.ie/

Aura Letterkenny Leisure Complex
    www.auraleisure.ie/

Century Cinemas
    www.centurycinemas.ie

Adventure One Surf School, Fanad, Co.Donegal
    www.adventureone.net/

An Grianán Theatre

www.angrianan.com/
    Letterkenny Karting Centre

Ph: 0749129077

The Old Foundry Paintball Games
    Lurgy,
    Letterkenny,
    http://letterkennypaintball.town.ie/

Mevagh Dive School
    www.mevaghdiving.com/

Muff Diving Club (Thats what it called :D )
    www.muffdivingclub.ie/

Donegal Airsoft
    www.donegalairsoft.com/

Glenveagh National Park
    www.glenveaghnationalpark.ie

Finn Harps FC
    www.finnharps.com/site/Musaem Chontae Dhun na nGall
    High Road,
    Letterkenny
    00353 74 9124613

Silver Tassie Spa

www.silvertassiehotel.com/Seascape-Spa/

The Letterkenny Town Park
    located at Hospital Roundabout

Library and Arts Centre
    Oliver Plunkett Road.

Donegal International Rally
    http://www.donegalrally.ie

The Voodoo Club
    www.dontstayin.com/ireland/dundalk/club-voodoo-letterkenny-co-donegal

The Pulse NightClub
    www.facebook.com/people/Pulse-Letterkenny/100001245046626

Marble Hill Beech
    http://www.myguideireland.com/marble-hill-beach
    The Golden Grill NightClub
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grill_Music_Venue#Performances

Having never been to Letterkenny i can't say if any of these places are good or bad,

Advertisement