Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extenuating Circumstances.

Options
  • 20-03-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

So, my grandfather passed away on Saturday and there are a whole host of funeral proceedings in the coming days. I have a huge amount of work due in this week and I was wondering would this be a valid reason to file for extenuating circumstances.
    Does anyone know what sort of documentation I would need to prove this claim, anything like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

I was in the same situation last christmas, someone passed away before my exams, you'll need some sort of death certificate (i just used a photocopy) for the paper work and theres a form that you fill out from the program office.

extenuating circumstances might only be around exam time, im not sure though, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Overature wrote: »
    extenuating circumstances might only be around exam time, im not sure though, best of luck

No they count throughout the semester. Think about it, you do coursework contributing to your final grade all semester.

Sympathies OP, it's always a hard time. The following links will be useful:

Application Form for Extenuating Circumstances: http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/extenuating%20circumstances%20application%20form.pdf

Policy Document: Extenuating Circumstances http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum.pdf

Student Guide to the Policy on Extenuating Circumstances 2010-11 http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_ext_circum_gn.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I was asking my mam and she said that those death certificates don't come out for quite a while. I wonder what I could use as evidence, dudes I'm stressing out here.

Contact the school on Monday morning and at the very least get an extension to give you more time to get the documentation. When you are talking to them, they'll know what you can do.

Is there anything in the above PDFs you could get your hands on ASAP?

And is there anything you can get from a doctor, hospital etc before the certifitcate comes out? Since the policy states they accept documents from registered medical practitioner/health professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I am not sure, I don't want to be hounding down documentation as my grandmam is very upset at this point and demanding this kind of stuff would add unecessary pressure to her. I know we have the death note in the paper cut out somewhere. I am kind of lost here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I think parker kent is right, contact the school tomorrow morning. They are not out to get you and will help you out with your EC application, they'll be able to sort something out. They will have come across similar situations before and will be able to tell you exactly what to do.

In the mean time, I'm sure you've got enough on your plate as it is - try not to stress out too much about this. The school will be understanding, they are humans under their steely UCD exterior.

My condolences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

Was in the same situation last year, my lecturer accepted a notice of the death that was on rip.ie, will depend on the lecturer though, good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Hi OP, firstly condolences on your loss. It's always tough losing a grandparent, and the added stress of having to balance your college workload can't be making the situation any easier.

I had to apply for extenuating circumstances for semester one exams due to illness and I sought advice from the human sciences student advisor. I can honestly say I've never spoken to a more helpful person within UCD; he explained the procedure to me, followed up on my case when the Programme Office was giving me grief and he stayed in contact after it was over.

My advice would be to contact the advisor in your faculty ASAP, either by email or better yet in person, to get all the information you need to submit an application.

Again, sorry for your loss and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

They're generally very good about this. I think if you said something like you will give them a copy of the death cert in due course but you can only give some sort of announcement he's dead-especially if he's your fraternal grandfather-i.e. same surname..

My sympathies and the best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

meathawk wrote: »
    I was asking my mam and she said that those death certificates don't come out for quite a while. I wonder what I could use as evidence, dudes I'm stressing out here.

The notice in the newspaper (with the funeral arrangements etc.) is usually fine depending on the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

meathawk wrote: »
    So, my grandfather passed away on Saturday and there are a whole host of funeral proceedings in the coming days. I have a huge amount of work due in this week and I was wondering would this be a valid reason to file for extenuating circumstances.
    Does anyone know what sort of documentation I would need to prove this claim, anything like that?

Listem to me op, dont fill out any forms, dont try to track down documentation you have enough on your plate at the moment and UCD are very good about this stuff. My grandfather passed away a few months back and all i did was rang my lecturer that my next assignment was due for, told him and forgot all about it. When i got back he gave me a form which i signed and sin e!

Honestly you dont need to be thinking about paperwork at this time, just call and leave it with them, they're very good about it all.

Sorry for your loss and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Good post.

Advertisement