Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical card application wrongfully turned down

• 20-03-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi

Recently I applied for a medical card online at www.medicalcard.ie and it showed based on the information I provided that I was eligible for a medical card.

I then submitted my application and got a letter back saying I don't fall within the criteria for a medical card.

My only income is 144euro a week on social welfare and I submitted social welfare receipt with my application. Am I right to think this should qualify me for a medical card?

I intend calling them tomorrow but just wanted to get some thoughts if this is a mistake? And do they make these kind of mistakes often?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It may have something to do with anyone you live with. Their means are also taking into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

I rent a room in accommodation and listed this as an expenditure. I have no dependents so would I be right to say I should be entitled to a medical card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Is there any reason given on the letter you received stating why you were refused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Hi

Recently I applied for a medical card online at www.medicalcard.ie and it showed based on the information I provided that I was eligible for a medical card.

I then submitted my application and got a letter back saying I don't fall within the criteria for a medical card.

My only income is 144euro a week on social welfare and I submitted social welfare receipt with my application. Am I right to think this should qualify me for a medical card?

I intend calling them tomorrow but just wanted to get some thoughts if this is a mistake? And do they make these kind of mistakes often?

I would defo re-apply again.I got mine last January with an income of €188 p/wk, no dependents on job seekers benefit and I was paying rent too.Those gombeens don't know what their at in there half the time, if you feel something isn't right you should go in there and get a detailed explanation as to why you are not entitled.

cee_jay wrote: »
    Is there any reason given on the letter you received stating why you were refused?

Not really the letter reads:

A person between the ages of 16 and 25, including students, may be eligible for a Medical Card/GP Visit Cards if she/he is:

- A dependant of a Medical Card/GP Visit Card Holder
    - Financially independant, with means that are within the Medical Card/GP Visit Card guidelines. For a person to be considered financially independant she/he must be in receipt of income equivalent to or greater than the current standard rate of Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA).
    - Cases of undue hardship or where it would be unduly burdensome to provide General Practitioner or medical and surgical services.

On the basis of the information you provided you do not appear to fall into one of the above categories, therefore I regret to inform you that we are not in a position to grant medical card eligibility to you or your dependents at this time.

Now as 144 a week on the dole as my only source of income do I not fall under category two here? or am I missing something? I am 23 years old also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Given that the reply they sent you invokes the clause For a person to be considered financially independant she/he must be in receipt of income equivalent to or greater than the current standard rate of Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA), there's a possibility that person who turned down your application is unaware of the age reduced payments now in place which mean that the maximum you can receive from JSA at your age is €144.00 and mistakenly think that the reduced payment is due to a means testing by the Social Welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Financially independant, with means that are within the Medical Card/GP Visit Card guidelines. For a person to be considered financially independant she/he must be in receipt of income equivalent to or greater than the current standard rate of Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA).

Could you have given them the idea that you are dependent on your parents? Did you give any of their details.

Otherwise get ready to prove you are 'Financially Independent' photocopy rent books going back a few years. Bank statements showing you didn't receive help from a parents bank account.

Doesn't surprise me, when I applied I photocopied all the stuff 5 times. I've had to re-send 3 copies of this already... wouldn't like to have to find all that stuff again and re-photocopy.

Still waiting and were waiting of the card to see the doc ( the doc already saw us for free twice)

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Could you have given them the idea that you are dependent on your parents? Did you give any of their details.

Otherwise get ready to prove you are 'Financially Independent' photocopy rent books going back a few years. Bank statements showing you didn't receive help from a parents bank account.

Doesn't surprise me, when I applied I photocopied all the stuff 5 times. I've had to re-send 3 copies of this already... wouldn't like to have to find all that stuff again and re-photocopy.

Still waiting and were waiting of the card to see the doc ( the doc already saw us for free twice)
    Nope didn't mention them or their address anywhere on the application.

It seems like a lot of stuff to send in. It would be a real pain alright.

Anyway I'm gonna phone them now and see what they have to say.

Well I called them and explained the situation. I told them that €144 is the rate of social welfare for someone of my age. The man I spoke to seem mystified as to why my application was turned down and told me he would get onto the processing department to clarify and then get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Well I called them and explained the situation. I told them that €144 is the rate of social welfare for someone of my age. The man I spoke to seem mystified as to why my application was turned down and told me he would get onto the processing department to clarify and then get back to me.

That's the only thing I can think of. See, it seems like you could have been means tested and your money was cut over that (instead of just because of your age). Hopefully you'll get it sorted soon. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement