Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network- 2 wireless routers & homeplugs

• 20-03-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I've got 2 routers. One upstairs and one downstairs. The one upstairs is connected to the modem. My ISP is Last Mile so my service is wimax, my router has to send a login name and password every time it is turned on.

The wireless router upstairs, a netgear WGR614 v6, is working fine. It is connected to a homeplug, a Belkin Powerline AV F5D4074-S v2, with an ethernet cable. Downstairs another homeplug the same as upstairs is connected into my xbox 360 to connect to xbox live. This also works fine.

However as my house has concrete floors, the rebar interferes with the wireless signal and it doesn't reach downstairs. Therefore I want to connect a second router, a linksys wrt160N v2, downstairs, via the ethernet cable coming from the homeplug. Then connecting the xbox to that. That way I'd have wireless downstairs too.

I've tried setting up the second router with a static ip address but I can't seem to get internet access. Has anyone any idea how to set this up properly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You either need to:
    A- change the lan ip of the Linksys, change it to 192.168.2.1, it needs to be in a different subnet to the lan of the Netgear (192.168.1.1) as they're conflicting. You will be routing twice tho and have 2 seperate subnets upstairs and down which may cause problems with sharing drives or printers or streaming to the Xbox etc
    or
    B- stop the Linksys routing, login, change the lan ip to 192.168.1.2 (remember this, write it on a sticker underneath it) and disable dhcp, then tape over the wan port and don't use it, use lan ports only. This way the Linksys will not be routing and will be an access point only with 4 bridged lan ports, leaving the Netgear to handle dhcp and route to the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭myironlung

Thanks, I'll give that a try now

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭myironlung

Thanks again, A did the job, I tried B first but no luck, for some reason it wouldn't work for me. Don't think it should be a problem though. I doubt we'd ever be need to transfer anything between upstairs and downstairs. Thats what the problem would be right? Because they're kinda on two different networks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It could cause problems when port forwarding for the Xbox, as you're routing twice and have 2 firewalls. An access point is what was needed downstairs
    http://www.linksysbycisco.com/APAC/en/products/WAP610N

If You bought the Linksys online, I'd return

Advertisement