Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mancini's a bluffer

• 20-03-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

look at mancinis record against the top teams in england, its dire

win

chelsea 1-0

draw

spurs 0-0
    man utd 0-0
    arsenal 0-0

loss
    arsenal 0-3
    man utd 1-2
    chelsea 0-2

6 points from a total of 21, failed to score in 5 of the 7 games, one of the most cautious managers the premier league has ever seen, time to move this chancer on if man city want to make real progress, having all the money in the world is no good if your buying players like milner, ballotelli, vieira and then putting 10 men behind the ball

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

nonsense.

City are miles behind Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal and the results show that. Spurs are ahead of them by virtue of the fact that they've had stable core of a team for longer.

This time next year (if city sit still and only sign 1/2 players in the summer) they'll be right up there challenging for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Italians. What you see is what you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

First step for them is Champs league football. They look like achieving that therefore hes doing his job well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

having all the money in the world is no good if your buying players like milner, ballotelli, vieira and then putting 10 men behind the ball

The attacking prowess of 34 year old Patrick Viera is fairly questionable now.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

look at mancinis record against the top teams in england, its dire

win

chelsea 1-0

draw

spurs 0-0
    man utd 0-0
    arsenal 0-0

loss
    arsenal 0-3
    man utd 1-2
    chelsea 0-2

6 points from a total of 21, failed to score in 5 of the 7 games, one of the most cautious managers the premier league has ever seen, time to move this chancer on if man city want to make real progress, having all the money in the world is no good if your buying players like milner, ballotelli, vieira and then putting 10 men behind the ball

Dunphy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Iago wrote: »
    nonsense.

City are miles behind Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal and the results show that. Spurs are ahead of them by virtue of the fact that they've had stable core of a team for longer.

This time next year (if city sit still and only sign 1/2 players in the summer) they'll be right up there challenging for the league.

I wouldn't say nonsense.

There is a certain element of merit behind what he said, Mancini is an extremely cautious manager given the attacking wealth at his disposal.

Saying that, I agree that they will be more serious title challengers next season, as the players will have had more time to gel and they'll probably bring in a few extra additions that will improve the team. Another top class CB to play beside Kompany and their defense will be formidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

He doesnt even try to win games. If they tried to win a few of those games they could be in the title race. Even in the 1st game of the season against Spurs they didnt bother trying to win and the game they beat Chelsea earlier in the season they fluked because they didnt try to win that either. He clearly doesnt fancy his team. If he doesnt fancy his team after spending all that cash then he shouldnt be in a job. I kind of feel sorry for Sheik Mansour. He has spent all that money but was lumbered with Mark Hughes at the start and he wasted millions on trying to buy up mid table players for getting into the champions league :confused: and now they are stuck with Mancini who doesnt even try and win games. No matter what happens between now and the end of the season Mancini needs to be sacked. The clubs needs a stronger director of football as well, to stop Sheik Mansours money from being spent on bum players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I wouldn't say nonsense.

There is a certain element of merit behind what he said, Mancini is an extremely cautious manager given the attacking wealth at his disposal.

Saying that, I agree that they will be more serious title challengers next season, as the players will have had more time to gel and they'll probably bring in a few extra additions that will improve the team. Another top class CB to play beside Kompany and their defense will be formidable.

Nonsense was maybe a little harsh.

The point is that City have all the building blocks. This season they are losing games they should draw and drawing games they should win. This isn't down to cautiousness but rather down to a team trying to figure out what their best system/starting XI/mentality is.

If they continue as they are they will be in a far better place at the end of next season. If they however go out and make wholesale changes again this summer they'll put themselves back another year. I think they're almost there and are certainly on the list of teams to be worried about next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When you spend 200+ million you think they would play some attractive soccer but they are ****ing dire to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Headshot wrote: »
    When you spend 200+ million you think they would play some attractive soccer but they are ****ing dire to watch

To be fair the first bit of attractive footbal Chelsea played was under Hiddink. How many years after Roman splashed the cash?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I dont see how he's a bluffer though...unless he promised to deliver the Premiership title playing attractive football, which I dont believe he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

See I blame Tevez personally.
    Thats it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Turtyturd wrote: »
    To be fair the first bit of attractive footbal Chelsea played was under Hiddink. How many years after Roman splashed the cash?

I would disagree, When Robben and Duff were at chelsea, they really played some great stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

darragh16 wrote: »
    Italians. What you see is what you get.

What does this even mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    First step for them is Champs league football. They look like achieving that therefore hes doing his job well.

Mark Hughes would have delivered this had they had the bottle to leave him in charge :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Kold wrote: »

no dark templars, and certainly no damn banshees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Joekers wrote: »
    Mark Hughes would have delivered this had they had the bottle to leave him in charge :rolleyes:

never said he wouldnt. i DONT think he shouldnt have gotten the boot. fact still stands, mancini is their to get them into the CL this year. They look like doing that and so can then attract players to win them the league. Thanks for the rollyeyes too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Kold wrote: »

thats what I got from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Headshot wrote: »
    I would disagree, When Robben and Duff were at chelsea, they really played some great stuff

In the medical room ;)

It could be argued that Silva and Tevez from time to time play beautiful football though, it still won't cause people to remember Mancini's reign as beautiful football. I don't think Jose's legacy will be one of beautiful football either.

Joekers wrote: »

Mark Hughes was terrible at City. His signings were bizarre

Tal Ben Haim: 5 Million wasted
    Santa Cruz: 18 million wasted
    Adebayor: 25 Million wasted
    Lescott: 22 Million for a bench player
    Jo: 18 Million wasted
    Wright-Phillips: 8 Million wasted
    Wayne Bridge: 10 Million wasted
    Bellamy: 14 Million wasted

120 million on players that currently have no use to city, have been loaned out or have been sold. If they had good manager at the time they would already be serious force in European football.

• Advertisement

Pauleta wrote: »

Tal Ben Haim: 5 Million wasted
    Santa Cruz: 18 million wasted
    Adebayor: 25 Million wasted
    Lescott: 22 Million for a bench player
    Jo: 18 Million wasted
    Wright-Phillips: 8 Million wasted
    Wayne Bridge: 10 Million wasted

120 million on players that currently have no use to city, have been loaned out or have been sold. If they had good manager at the time they would already be serious force in European football.

I can't believe you made that point and left out Robinho @ 32M;)

I can't believe you made that point and left out Robinho @ 32M;)

I was going to put him in but i felt it would be unfair as i dont think it was his idea to sign him.

I was going to put him in but i felt it would be unfair as i dont think it was his idea to sign him.

And what makes you think it was his idea to sign the rest of them?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I kind of feel sorry for Sheik Mansour.

Ya, I feel sorry for the multi billionairre Sheik Monsour too........................................NOT!!!:eek:

And what makes you think it was his idea to sign the rest of them?:pac:

He would of had a lot of say on who he was buying in his first and second season. The Robinho thing came up in the last hour of the transfer window when Chelsea couldnt agree with Real Madrid. Im sure he got a phone call asking did he want him and said yes but who wouldnt of taken him at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Only when a team has won its first major silverware years can the fans of that club or indeed the fans of others demand that the club play "attractive" football.
    Thats my belief anyway.
    When you look at the money involved you've got to keep telling yourself:
    IT DOESNT MATTER - Not to the owners of City anyway. It matters to the clubs competing with them in that they wont be able to compete once City make the champions league. It also matters to the clubs city buy players off - more money for them to buy their own players.
    The fans of the club wont care how they win their silverware - not the first few cups anyway, despite the money being spent. The attractive football can come later.
    As many have said, Mancini was bought in to get the club into the Champions League - a task I believe he will achieve. Next season they will build on that. They already have a formidable squad, lacking some "gel" and perhaps a bit of direction but that will also come.
    City will make the CL this season and there will be a massive change in their ambitions next season.
    Mancini is doing grand so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mancini most certainly isn't a bluffer because anyone who knows football in Italy was aware of his style. We have the second best defense in the league and the joint most clean sheets so in that regard he has achieved his aim of building from the back.

Having said that he falls into the extreme end with negativity, epitomized by him readying Boyata at 0-0 yesterday. I felt sorry for Dzeko who worked his arse off with no service but will come in for criticism because he didn't score. We don't display ambition to win games away from home apart from the odd spell here and there, but it simply isn't his style. Love it or hate it we're stuck with it for now.

Btw, Robinho scored 14 goals in the league in his first season, sold a bucketload of shirts, and raised the profile of the club worldwide. It was a great signing by whover did make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

they badly miss tevez.

hes one of their only plus points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Man City won't win the league under Mancini. He still has to prove himself as a manager!

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Man City won't win the league under Mancini. He still has to prove himself as a manager!

For such a short post, there is so much wrong with this.

Serie A (3)
    Internazionale: 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08
    Coppa Italia (4)
    Fiorentina: 2000-01
    Lazio: 2003–04
    Internazionale: 2004-05, 2005-06
    Supercoppa Italiana (2)
    Internazionale: 2005, 2006

He has 9 trophies to his namer, thats good fucking going for a manager who is only 46. Lets not forget that Dalglish only has 8 trophies as a manager, that really puts some perspective on how daft you're post was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

I would have won those Serie A titles with Inter.

I would have won those Serie A titles with Inter.

o_rly_owl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Never liked Mancini. Doesn't seem to have a clue at City...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

For such a short post, there is so much wrong with this.

Serie A (3)
    Internazionale: 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08
    Coppa Italia (4)
    Fiorentina: 2000-01
    Lazio: 2003–04
    Internazionale: 2004-05, 2005-06
    Supercoppa Italiana (2)
    Internazionale: 2005, 2006

He has 9 trophies to his namer, thats good fucking going for a manager who is only 46. Lets not forget that Dalglish only has 8 trophies as a manager, that really puts some perspective on how daft you're post was.

In fairness now, we all know during Mancini's reign at inter the Serie A was the weakest it had been, probably ever. Im by no means judging Mancini's managerial abilities, in fact he'll be a force to be reckoned with next year. But using the above to prove his 'credentials' is just asking for ridicule, Inter won the league mostly be default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People haven't realised yet that City winning it all is an inevitable matter of "when" rather than "if". They're on course to deliver both their highest points total and highest league finishing position - improving on both for the third season in succession.

In three years they've gone from mid table to the Champions League. The next three players they will sign will be of an extraordinary talent level. There will be significantly less player turnover this summer in comparison to the previous two, and the squad and coaching staff for next year will be as settled as it has been in some time.

City are going to start dominating English football within three years. And there is **** all anyone can do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    People haven't realised yet that City winning it all is an inevitable matter of "when" rather than "if". They're on course to deliver both their highest points total and highest league finishing position - improving on both for the third season in succession.

In three years they've gone from mid table to the Champions League. The next three players they will sign will be of an extraordinary talent level. There will be significantly less player turnover this summer in comparison to the previous two, and the squad and coaching staff for next year will be as settled as it has been in some time.

City are going to start dominating English football within three years. And there is **** all anyone can do about it.

I don't agree, its a group of individuals and not a team. Tevez will prob f^&% off in the summer. Until they get the team mentality they won't dominate anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't agree, its a group of individuals and not a team. Tevez will prob f^&% off in the summer. Until they get the team mentality they won't dominate anything.

This cliche really shits me. It's not a group of individuals in the slightest, as anyone who follows the club closely will know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

To where exactly? No club will offer him better money than City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Largely nonsense IMO.

Mancini just wants to get into the top four and then build on that. That's why he plays for draws against his main rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is pretty much nonsense imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

City are doing as well as they could have hoped for imo this season, weren't gonna win the league. chelsea were poor in the middle part of the season and 4th place and champs league next season and a couple real top class players like tevez, not players like balotelli and milner, and they'll be up there...unfortunately.

During the season two or three years hence that City win their first Premier League title, you and your ilk will be peddling such nonsense (with mild variations depending on the players involved at that point) right up until they lift the trophy.

City are coming for you.

mink_man wrote: »
    City are doing as well as they could have hoped for imo this season, weren't gonna win the league. chelsea were poor in the middle part of the season and 4th place and champs league next season and a couple real top class players like tevez, not players like balotelli and milner, and they'll be up there...unfortunately.

Balotelli is a frighteningly good player.

People are letting their dislike of him personally blind them to then fact that he oozes class. It's pretty much exactly the same as when United signed Ronaldo, besides maybe Mario being a bit ahead of where Ronaldo was in terms of development when he signed for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

You dont know that. I dont know that and nobody else knows that. You cant predict what is going to happen in three years time. Three years is a very long time in football. Who knows what the premierleague is going to be like then? For all you know some other Sheikh or rich tycoon could buy a club within that time. City dominating english football is not as definite as you are making it seem. If you were told 4 or 5 years ago that city would be in the champions league and competing for a title you would be ridiculing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You dont know that. I dont know that and nobody else knows that. You cant predict what is going to happen in three years time. Three years is a very long time in football. Who knows what the premierleague is going to be like then? For all you know some other Sheikh or rich tycoon could buy a club within that time. City dominating english football is not as definite as you are making it seem. If you were told 4 or 5 years ago that city would be in the champions league and competing for a title you would be ridiculing them.

With the new fair play rules coming in, it'll be harder for rich owners to do another City, big reason for Chelsea splashing out on Torres eg.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It would makes no odds if another tycoon came in because whatever team he took over would still need the bedding in period that City have had in the last while.

What Lloyd is saying is correct. Obv City could get hit by a meteor or something, but it will take something ludicrously unlikely to prevent City winning an EPL in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

K-9 wrote: »
    With the new fair play rules coming in, it'll be harder for rich owners to do another City, big reason for Chelsea splashing out on Torres eg.

Actually I forgot about that, so wouldnt that then make it less likely that City would dominate english football? Ive never properly read the new rules but I assume its something like you have to work within your own means, so by that I would assume Arsenal, Manchester United and possibly Liverpool would be the big beneficiaries of the new rules in place?

Actually I forgot about that, so wouldnt that then make it less likely that City would dominate english football?

Nope, they've got their spending done. They only need to add bits and pieces to what they already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I'd hardly call Bellamy a waste,he was up there with Tevez as their best player last year.

Actually I forgot about that, so wouldnt that then make it less likely that City would dominate english football? Ive never properly read the new rules but I assume its something like you have to work within your own means, so by that I would assume Arsenal, Manchester United and possibly Liverpool would be the big beneficiaries of the new rules in place?

They've spent the bulk of the money they need to spend. Hence why they kept Given, Bellamy, etc around this year on loan / on the bench. They intend to fire sale a bunch of players this year to offset some further (more targeted) spending. Along with all that sweet, sweet Champions League Revenue.

Meanwhile, the pieces they already have in place have been bedding in:

Dzeko will have a full pre - season with the squad under his belt, Balotelli is a constant work in progress (but he'll get there), Silva / Yaya / DeJong will all have a full year in England under their belts.

One way train to the top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement