Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI Resolution

Options
  • 20-03-2011 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

OK this is probably a stupid question but I simply cannot find an answer anywhere!

My question is does maximum DVI/DisplayPort resolution depend on the monitor max display? I've found a load of 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 LCDs but most graphics cards output to 2560x1600 and such!
    Can that be achieved through a typical 1080p screen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

My question is does maximum DVI/DisplayPort resolution depend on the monitor max display?

Yes. Resolution is a measurement of the number of pixels. A pixel is a single dot that together make up an image. A display has a built in limited number of pixels. A 1080p display has 1080 horizontal lines of pixels and 1920 vertical lines of pixels, 1920 X 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels. There is no way a 1080p display can display more pixels than that with which it was built with.

A 2560 X 1600 display has 4,096,000 pixels. It can easily display a 1080p image as it has far more pixels than are required. But a 1080p display can't display an image of over 4 million pixels because it only has just over 2 million pixels. (a million pixels is also known as a megapixel).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Thanks sink! The places I've seen lcd monitors have had maybe one or two above 1080! Confused me!
    So a real high quality screen would have no problem with blu-ray through HDMi
    assuming the GPU permits it?
    Also would a DVI cable output full HD movies no problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Thanks sink! The places I've seen lcd monitors have had maybe one or two above 1080! Confused me!
    So a real high quality screen would have no problem with blu-ray through HDMi
    assuming the GPU permits it?
    Also would a DVI cable output full HD movies no problem?

Yes to both.

Advertisement