Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eject Disc From Laptop DVD Drive

• 20-03-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

This is a combination of a few issues I'm having with a PC at the moment. Basically the PC bluescreened earlier today. I burned the Vista Recovery ISO from here and put it into the drive. The startup repair ran but said it couldn't fix some files. I then ran the memory test utility that was also on the main menu. It ran but said it would display results on next boot. The problem is now each time I boot I get a flash of a blue screen when the Vista loading screen appears and then the boot process starts again. I get two options at the start - system recovery or boot normally. Neither option is allowing me the opportunity to get the disc out of the drive. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Malice wrote: »
    This is a combination of a few issues I'm having with a PC at the moment. Basically the PC bluescreened earlier today. I burned the Vista Recovery ISO from here and put it into the drive. The startup repair ran but said it couldn't fix some files. I then ran the memory test utility that was also on the main menu. It ran but said it would display results on next boot. The problem is now each time I boot I get a flash of a blue screen when the Vista loading screen appears and then the boot process starts again. I get two options at the start - system recovery or boot normally. Neither option is allowing me the opportunity to get the disc out of the drive. Any suggestions?

Use a pin to push into the tiny hole on the dvd drive. This will eject the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

With the PC/Laptop turned off, look for a small hole in the front of the DVD drive. Push a straightened paperclip into the hole. This releases the drive tray and you can get your disc out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

You should have the ability to eject as soon as you have power, but failing that, use the end of a paper clip in the little hole on the drive door and the tray should pop out. If it's a slot-loading drive, try bashing F12 like crazy and you should get a selective startup screen and boot directly from DVD or HDD there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Unless you have a dell xps, in which case there is no tray!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sorry folks, I should have clarified my first post a bit. It's one of those slot loading drives so there is no little hole to shove a paper clip into. That was my first thought as I've had to do that in the past. The solution was actually a lot simpler. Once the boot up process starts the eject button on the laptop keyboard works so I was just able to press that to get the disc to come out. That hasn't helped with the actual issue but I might as well leave the solution here for people to read in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

1. Restart the computer and press F12
    2. Select the last option for the Diagnostic partition
    3. Use the arrow key to go to the CDROM menu
    4. Press to test and go through each test, if it tells you you need to put in another CD, yes or no, choose no.
    5.The self test will eject the CD
    http://www.fixya.com/support/t2643828-dell_xps_m1330_dvd_drive_will_not_eject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

sometimes on those slot loading drives the release catch is actually to the side of the actual slot opening
    so its the same process of sticking a paperclip into usually the right side of the slot and feel for the manual release, as i say this is not the case for all of them only some i've come across
    to see the blue screen you are getting go into the advanced boot options by pressing f8 on bootup and scroll down to disable automatic restart on system failure
    it will now allow you to see what the blue screen is telling you and you google the error

if it is a mac holding either the eject button or the mouse on starup will also eject the cd

Advertisement