Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horseriding

Options
  • 20-03-2011 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking for a recommendation for some horseriding lessons/groups.
    I have had a good few lessons throughout the years but I've not been for a couple of years now. Alot of classes I have gone to were in an indoor arena and a lot of the time was just sitting on the horse while he walked round in circles. With the stretch in the evening next week I'd love to find somewhere that took classes outdoors or where you got to do a good bit of trotting/cantering. I'm based in the city but happy to drive if it's good. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Kazbah wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am looking for a recommendation for some horseriding lessons/groups.
    I have had a good few lessons throughout the years but I've not been for a couple of years now. Alot of classes I have gone to were in an indoor arena and a lot of the time was just sitting on the horse while he walked round in circles. With the stretch in the evening next week I'd love to find somewhere that took classes outdoors or where you got to do a good bit of trotting/cantering. I'm based in the city but happy to drive if it's good. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kaz

What exactly do you mean when you say outdoor? I get the impression you mean outdoor on a trek and not in an outdoor arena?

I used to do it in Hop Island for a while, they have indoor and outdoor arenas. The beginners usually use the smaller outdoor arena depending on the evening. They have more advanced classes which are in a bigger outdoor arena, more of a little field fenced off really :) Or possibly in a bigger indoor arena.

But we didn't do much walking, infact it was pretty much all trotting, cantering and jumping, and I only did it for about 2 months having started as a total beginner! Usually the group might trot for a while, they indivdually take turns at cantering and jumping.
    Pretty sure I was trotting on my first lesson, really throw you in the deep :D

Thought the lessons were good though! Sometimes go for a walk down the beach after a lesson (or a trot if the class is more advanced!). They do treks at the weekends too where you trot, canter or even gallop if you're good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

babo9 wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean when you say outdoor? I get the impression you mean outdoor on a trek and not in an outdoor arena?

I used to do it in Hop Island for a while, they have indoor and outdoor arenas. The beginners usually use the smaller outdoor arena depending on the evening. They have more advanced classes which are in a bigger outdoor arena, more of a little field fenced off really :) Or possibly in a bigger indoor arena.

But we didn't do much walking, infact it was pretty much all trotting, cantering and jumping, and I only did it for about 2 months having started as a total beginner! Usually the group might trot for a while, they indivdually take turns at cantering and jumping.
    Pretty sure I was trotting on my first lesson, really throw you in the deep :D

Thought the lessons were good though! Sometimes go for a walk down the beach after a lesson (or a trot if the class is more advanced!). They do treks at the weekends too where you trot, canter or even gallop if you're good enough!

+1 I find them excellent & handy enough to get to from the City, just past the Rochestown Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Eeesh - have to disagree. I've been to Hop island twice, location is very handy. BUt first time was a 'lesson' in the arena which I found very rushed. One of the girls in our group was put on a horse that was far too much for her. She fell off and had a broken rib.
    Second time was also in the arena I was given a horse that just did not want me on her. She was old and should have been retired by now, she could barely muster up the energy for a trot.

If you are willing to drive I would recommend the one in Kenmare, Dromquinna Stables. Horses are gorgeous, and they really take their time with beginners. The trek is awesome aswell, right up on to the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I have been to Hop Island and I wouldn't go back. While I want to progress my horseriding *in my opinion* they were not as safety conscious as they could have been and let me/others take on horses/jumps/classes that I wasn't able for at the time.

Will defo try Kenmare some weekend but I'm looking for somewhere a bit closer I could do midweek. I don't mind that much if it's a trek or an outdoor arena. I've heard good things about Hitchmos but not from anyone I know directly. Any opinion? I've been to Greybrook in Waterfall quite a lot. I enjoyed it but I found the class a bit boring. As new people joined every few weeks we just went back to the beginning again and I didn't feel I got a chance to build on what I was learning much.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

let me/others take on horses/jumps/classes that I wasn't able for at the time.
    As new people joined every few weeks we just went back to the beginning again and I didn't feel I got a chance to build on what I was learning much.

No offense, but that seems a bit contradictory: if the second guys didn't go back to the beginning for the beginners, it would just be the same situation as Hop Island from the beginners point of view!

I do agree that Hop Island could be a bit more safety concious as you put it, but I prefer being thrown in at the deepend personaly! I did notice though that ppl who didn't want to try certain things were almost made to try...instructors differ though, some were very good and got you to do things you only wanted to or were ready for. Some were a lot less experienced as instructors and just said ah come on you'll be grand, which is stupid.

Either way, hope you find what you're looking for!

• Advertisement

No I think if you have to sign up to a certain amount of lessons as a group then you can move forward safely. There is a happy medium between the two which is what I'm looking for.

I came off a horse in Hop Island and the instructor didn't even ask if I was ok, just told me to get back on. I left the lesson and will never go back. I know we sign a disclaimer saying we participate at our own risk but I feel that's reckless. I was also in a jumping lesson at the time because noone showed up for the class at my level so they just threw me in. I could barely canter at the time.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have been to Hop Island and I wouldn't go back. While I want to progress my horseriding *in my opinion* they were not as safety conscious as they could have been and let me/others take on horses/jumps/classes that I wasn't able for at the time.

Will defo try Kenmare some weekend but I'm looking for somewhere a bit closer I could do midweek. I don't mind that much if it's a trek or an outdoor arena. I've heard good things about Hitchmos but not from anyone I know directly. Any opinion? I've been to Greybrook in Waterfall quite a lot. I enjoyed it but I found the class a bit boring. As new people joined every few weeks we just went back to the beginning again and I didn't feel I got a chance to build on what I was learning much.

Herself goes to Hitchmoughs and enjoys it.

parsi wrote: »
    Herself goes to Hitchmoughs and enjoys it.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fiona L

I recommend Tulligmore in Ballinhassig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

is it the norm for horse riding schools to take their horses out on open roads? I'm asking because this is what Hop Island do frequently. I've never been horse riding myself but I've often been stuck behind them as they walk along the main Rochestown - Passage road, hardly ideal!

• Advertisement

I think it is fairly normal. I have been out on the roads with a fair few stables. Normally just going to/from somewhere safer off-road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I keep my horse at a private centre called Lucky Meadows out in Watergrasshill. It's 30euro for a private lesson or else 20euro each for two people or something like that.
    The lessons dont necessarily go by the hour, but more on a basis of how you are doing.

I personally learned in Dunsfort in Midleton, but I started riding again at Lucky Meadows and improved like mad. I find that private lessons are so much better for learning quickly.

Here's the website:
    http://www.seankellyhorse.com/

Wow that sounds great, I'll defo give him a ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 greengummybear

Based on the recommendation here I went to Lucky Meadows www.seankellyhorse.com and I have to say that it's excellent. I am having private lessons and it's well worth it. I have a good few years riding experience but I was always disappointed when I back to getting lessons in a group. I always ended up just sitting on the horse waiting for my turn - it's not worth the money and it won't improve anything and you feel so frustrated after it that you couldn't do more.

I am an intermediate rider but Sean coaches showjumpers aswell and even though I am not a showjumper I still get the benefit of what he teaches them. He covers the basics with horse psychology before you ever go near a horse and this feeds into when you are on the horse. It's a great way to teach and really effective. Private lessons are the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Based on the recommendation here I went to Lucky Meadows www.seankellyhorse.com and I have to say that it's excellent. I am having private lessons and it's well worth it. I have a good few years riding experience but I was always disappointed when I back to getting lessons in a group. I always ended up just sitting on the horse waiting for my turn - it's not worth the money and it won't improve anything and you feel so frustrated after it that you couldn't do more.

I am an intermediate rider but Sean coaches showjumpers aswell and even though I am not a showjumper I still get the benefit of what he teaches them. He covers the basics with horse psychology before you ever go near a horse and this feeds into when you are on the horse. It's a great way to teach and really effective. Private lessons are the way to go!

Cool! Wonder if I know you.... I've since rehomed my horse though, so not at Sean's very much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mishy

I disagree I love hop island. I ride there weekly and I have progressed so much. The instructors are lovely and the horses are safe. Accidents do happen as will happen everywhere. But I find hop island safe and horses are suited to the correct level. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I hear tesco is good also for it.

Advertisement