Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chandelier

Options
  • 20-03-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some help i stuck in a chandelier but it wont switch on!!! it was a simple enough job connect live neutral earth flick the switch but not a thing. When i put the old basic light fitting back in it fires up fine then i put the chandelier back and nada.

The light has 1 switch for it in the room and a dimmer outside the room, im wondering is it possible the dimmer is affecting it? Any advise from a sparks would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

The light may not work on a dimmer....Read the box or manual as it may say not able to dim.... Also it could be low voltage and maybe the transformer is blown on it. Read the sticker on the light or the lamps and see what voltage they are. They will be 230v-60w or somethin like that or 12v- 20w. That will then let you know what your dealing with.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

Could also possibly be the actual wiring in the chandelier, maybe a loose connection at a lampholder or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Hey Rob could be hoping it isnt though:)

Digger: It didnt come in a box or with instrctions and when i look for some detail on it it doesnt have anything except model and such. It does however take 5 60watt bulbs im currently trying to hook it up to a plug and trying it on a socket...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Well at least you know it's mains voltage ie 230.. So did it work when ya connected it up locally to a socket???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like a possible connection problem in the fitting. A continuity tester between the supply flex or wires of the fitting and the bulb holders would quickly show if there is any wiring/connection problem in the fitting itself.

Did you have 5 60 watt bulbs in it? The dimmer might not be rated to 300 watts anyway if its just a standard dimmer, although you would think it would work for a time, or when on full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

couldt ge the sodding this to work off the flex + plug wonder are the cables mixed up perhaps. Might try switching them and seeing what happens.

Dont have anything to test it with unfortunently :/

Advertisement