Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best clubs/socs to join

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I have joined a society, i wouldn't mind joining another even if i can't commit to them all, even to meet new people ( want to move on from secondary school people) which clubs/socs do ye recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

depends really on what your interests are? That said you might like to go crazy and try something completely new like skydiving or parkour

No matter which you join you're going to make lots of friends- best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Thank you baz. Yeah I joined the history society there recently, only sickened i didn't join last semester, even to go to the bunratty banquet, may join the games soc or something. Kind of want to branch out a bit.
    Thanks Baz, you have my support for the upcoming election.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I should probably suggest you join drama soc (wouldn't be a good committee member if i didn't)

I'm open to most of them except political societies. I have an interest in it but want to enjoy college for a bit. History was always the one i wanted to join from day one. We're going to Dublin Tuesday for a tour of a parliament building, should be enjoyable. I'll keep the drama soc in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Anbo

If your looking to meet new people and have a laugh you could give Debating a try!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I (being the President of Cumann Gaelach) Would strongly recomend you join Cumann Gaelach:D

Seriously, We just finished Seachtain na Gaeilge which was class.

We had a balloon Release,

1143348.jpg

and a fireworks display.

9673112.jpg

We are planning a trip to the Aran Islands for the 8, 9 and 10th of April and we are thinking about paintballing as gaeilge after that.

If you are interested in Irish you should join, you dont need to be fluent in Irish, you dont even need to be particularly good at it(I'm not and i'm the president) as long as your interested in it your welcome.

Cumann Gaelach Website

Cumann Gaelach Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Hey Skyrim,

While I notice you say you're not interested in political societies - you might consider the Debating Union as a society to join. I was a member for 3 of my 4 years in UL and got a quality time of it. Met some really great people, got to travel all over Ireland, England and Europe, had a VERY good time (I may have gotten drunk once or twice) and learned an awful lot about how to think, how to talk and the art of persuasion (not to mention my entire understanding of economics, politics, justice..... I did do an engineering undergrad!) We're also in a much better position now than we would have been when I started - there are some very good debaters in UL at the moment who are great teachers!

Keep it in mind anyways!

Here's their website

Lorcan O'Neill
    current holder of the Ciaran Treacy Perpetual Debating trophy

It's not that i don't like political clubs, but before the elevtion fg kept annyonig me to canvass and i guess when you're not interested it just gets very annoying. Thanks for the posts lads, if ye have any more feel free to post them and i'll get back to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Some of the stuff I'd recommend would be

Music Society-Lovely friendly people and abit of craic. Don't have to play to join. Free access to practice room with amps! Plus regular gigs.

Outdoor Pursuits Club-has won best club last 2 years and does activities every week. Go climbing in Scotland, the Alps, South America. Rock climbing, hiking, orienteering, mountaineering and caving are some of the stuff they offer. Plus social events.

Windsurfing Club-has just won their Intervarsities for the third time running and do weekend trips to Castlegregory and other spots. Provides the gear for you to participate.

Kayaking Club- a fantastic record, able to rival the above two. Another large club but excellent rep. Provides gear as well.

International Society- Good fun and a great way to meet people from other countries;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Skyrim, most clubs/socs are fairly active from what I can see, although your level of involvement can really depend on how much you're interested.
    If you go home at weekends it would be an idea to find a club/soc that does stuff during the week, otherwise you won't benefit as much.

I'm with the International Society myself so I'm obviously going to be fairly biased! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fibF-SZq1D4

Our website is http://www.ulinternationalsociety.com and this is our
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33033642506

I'm not gonna lie though, most of our stuff (weekly activities) are coming to an end now, but we still have another trip coming up and a few events on Friday nights in the Stables but feel free to come along :) Are you planning on doing co-op/Erasmus? It would be a good way to get to know a few people from Erasmus universities, which could save you an awful lot of hassle when you go abroad ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 willielovesall

You should join the Athletics society! I have met some of my best friends there. I'm also in Fine Gael and it is good craic but its all down to whatever floats your boat.

Heres the ones I tried

Soccer- Love soccer and any sports so I had to give it a go! I still play but not with the college.

Athletics- Keeps you fit with regular gym sessions and track sessions or you can do long distance. Its great fun. This is the one I am most involved in.

Krav Mage- an Israeli self-defense art form that teaches you basic moves to get out of any situation. I would love to do a course in it but Ul actually have a proper trainer and everything.

Windsurfing- Best weekend trip of my life! Seriously its fun and interesting when you get the hang of it and I'll probably go on another trip.

Fine Gael- Its good fun. You get out of it as much as you put into it.

Outdoor Pursuits Club- I wasn't into this as much but I don't think I gave it much of my time.

Overall I love athletics and Fine Gael and those are the two clubs I am most involved in. Really It depends what interests you and ya get out of it what you put into it. Just don't be like loads of other college students that spend there whole life drinking every sunday, tuesday and thursday. You will look back and regret it. Ya make the most friends in the Clubs and Socs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 willielovesall

You should join the Athletics society! I have met some of my best friends there. I'm also in Fine Gael and it is good craic but its all down to whatever floats your boat.

Heres the ones I tried

Soccer- Love soccer and any sports so I had to give it a go! I still play but not with the college.

Athletics- Keeps you fit with regular gym sessions and track sessions or you can do long distance. Its great fun. This is the one I am most involved in.

Krav Mage- an Israeli self-defense art form that teaches you basic moves to get out of any situation. I would love to do a course in it but Ul actually have a proper trainer and everything.

Windsurfing- Best weekend trip of my life! Seriously its fun and interesting when you get the hang of it and I'll probably go on another trip.

Fine Gael- Its good fun. You get out of it as much as you put into it.

Outdoor Pursuits Club- I wasn't into this as much but I don't think I gave it much of my time.

Overall I love athletics and Fine Gael and those are the two clubs I am most involved in. Really It depends what interests you and ya get out of it what you put into it. Just don't be like loads of other college students that spend there whole life drinking every sunday, tuesday and thursday. You will look back and regret it. Ya make the most friends in the Clubs and Socs!!

Thanks. Of course not, i liek a pint or two but i prefer to get more out of the clubs and socs. I know plenty of people that just drink and not bother doing anything else in college, their choice i guess. I want to get more out of U.L than that.

Don't mean to sound like an old hag, but how can people just drink away their time in college, i've a lot of good memories from this year, not involving a lot of drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭FerrisBueller

Skyrim, drinking is a minor element of clubs and socs, I mean if you really get into a sport for example you'll be less inclined to drink because of fitness, training, etc. How much you get out of clubs and socs depends on how much you put into it.
    However one bit of advice I'll give you is don't go in with the idea of doing an activity for the sake of your CV, otherwise you'll never truly enjoy what you do.

THat would never be my intention, all well and good if it boosts the cv(will have no complaints) it's about the experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

im part of the rugby club for the past for the last two years and i know loads of people because of it, between the trainings and trips to matches theres alot of good natured banter involved...
    i havent joined any others but if i ever get enough spare time im joining the opc, i know a couple in it and there some of the most varied and funny people on campus

Only pity is that once semester ends, that's the clubs and socs over with for 5 months. I'm sure people would be up for an event or something during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

I'm involved with debating too, and I'd highly recommend it! I've had a great time since I joined last September, and met some amazing people in the process! Contrary to popular belief, the society isn't completely focused on politics and law. We often have funny debates because there are a lot of very entertaining speakers within DebU.

I'm also a member of the history soc but I can't recommend it as a good soc to join - it doesn't do very much, not like in debating, where we meet up at least twice a week for speaker development (Mondays) and a debate (Thursdays). Maybe it would be an ok soc to join in conjunction with a few others, but joining only history soc won't make you many new friends because it doesn't hold meetings very often. As a first year, I can honestly say that in my experience it was a useless one to join for the purpose of making friends. You never know though, maybe it'll change next year? I love history so I'll never quite give up on it, though I do hope that it achieves more next year.

While there were a couple of trips offered by the history soc, and a few lectures as well, there definitely wasn't enough to do to make joining history soc worthwhile this year. I'd imagine this affected the numbers of new members going on trips, as personally I don't see how any new member would consider going on a trip with people they don't really know. I certainly don't know many people in that society because there haven't been many meetings in either semester.

At least with DebU you really get to know the people in the society and there's definitely a closeness that develops between members - probably because speaking in front of people is scary and you depend on (and are given) their support! That's why I joined, principally...to improve my public speaking and debating skills. At the end of the day, there are always going to be situations in life where you'll need to use those skills. I am proud to report that although the prospect of speaking still scares me, it doesn't completely terrify me anymore. My hands have stopped shaking when I'm standing at the podium! Still need help on curbing the level of word vomit that inevitably emerges in each speech, though... :)

I'm involved with debating too, and I'd highly recommend it! I've had a great time since I joined last September, and met some amazing people in the process! Contrary to popular belief, the society isn't completely focused on politics and law. We often have funny debates because there are a lot of very entertaining speakers within DebU.

I'm also a member of the history soc but I can't recommend it as a good soc to join - it doesn't do very much, not like in debating, where we meet up at least twice a week for speaker development (Mondays) and a debate (Thursdays). Maybe it would be an ok soc to join in conjunction with a few others, but joining only history soc won't make you many new friends because it doesn't hold meetings very often. As a first year, I can honestly say that in my experience it was a useless one to join for the purpose of making friends. You never know though, maybe it'll change next year? I love history so I'll never quite give up on it, though I do hope that it achieves more next year.

While there were a couple of trips offered by the history soc, and a few lectures as well, there definitely wasn't enough to do to make joining history soc worthwhile this year. I'd imagine this affected the numbers of new members going on trips, as personally I don't see how any new member would consider going on a trip with people they don't really know. I certainly don't know many people in that society because there haven't been many meetings in either semester.

At least with DebU you really get to know the people in the society and there's definitely a closeness that develops between members - probably because speaking in front of people is scary and you depend on (and are given) their support! That's why I joined, principally...to improve my public speaking and debating skills. At the end of the day, there are always going to be situations in life where you'll need to use those skills. I am proud to report that although the prospect of speaking still scares me, it doesn't completely terrify me anymore. My hands have stopped shaking when I'm standing at the podium! Still need help on curbing the level of word vomit that inevitably emerges in each speech, though... :)

Fair play, i'll definitely consider it anyway, won't do confidence any harm. I would agree you need to join something else with history soc. I don't think enough is done, though maybe i haven't gotten involved enough. I'll be away for 2 semesters on co-op and erasmus, maybe when i get back wouldn't mind
    trying to do a bit more to promote it.
    Bit ambitious, yeah I know. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Anyone know much about the Music society? Here's your opportunity to sell yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Regret not joining anything this year myself, I haven't tried at all in getting to know knew people and tend to hang around with who I knew from secondary school because there's a load of us. that's partly why i want to switch course and start again, not only have i failed in the lecture room but outside of it as well.

Outdoor pursuits sounds interesting, will have to look into that.

Would love to join the American football as well, but I'd undoubtedly get crushed.

and who's in parkour? from the videos i've seen you must be some sort of superhuman to try it.

I know how you feel, that was like me first semester. Although the people i went to school with i wouldn't have a lot of time for, apart from a couple, but the rest it doesn't go much beyond hello if i see them. Coming more into my stride this semester, getting to know more people across courses because we have classes together. Very nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bubbles92

Hey there,

Being a debater I'm going to throw in my two cents here!! :D
    DebU is great craic for the banter, it looks great on a CV, does wonders for your confidence and I've made loads of friends!! We do loads of fun stuff and if you need an excuse to wear a suit we could find one!! Going away to loads of IV's around the country is mad!! Alcohol is not a major factor, we do often have socials but if you don't want to drink there are loads of people in the society who don't drink, but still up for a laugh! :)

We've had some awesome guest speakers in too, like David Norris and Garret Fitzgerald!

If you want to check us out, we're holding an EU Debate in the Swift this Thursday at 7!!

And you don't have to be in an Arts course either, like Lorcan said!! (Kudos dude by the way!!)

Peace!:pac:

Thank you, i'd really join more for the making friends stuff, nobody I know has joined it so it would be a fresh start, but again if it bolsters the cv, I won't complain. I have been impressed by the info page for the Debating society, only wish the history soc was as productive. If i get a chance i'll certainly head to that debate ( may have to leave after 8 to catch a bus though :P) how much is it to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Skyrim wrote: »
    Only pity is that once semester ends, that's the clubs and socs over with for 5 months. I'm sure people would be up for an event or something during the summer.

It may depend on the club/soc but in my experience, that is not true at all.

A club is a way of making friends who share a common interest and you dont give up that interest once the college semester ends! The club im involved with (OPC) runs its major annual international trip and we are always out and about doing stuff during the summer as the weather is savage and you have no college holding you back! It may not be an Official club trip, but it is us as friends through the club doing stuff.

In my case, the club turned what can be a boring summer into one full of stuff to do!

Really breaks up the summer I guess, even having 1 or 2 events just to have something to look forward to. I'll miss UL when the semester is over, still intend on coming in though, not to repeat exams I hope! Just read a few books in library, play pool,use gym stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bubbles92

Skyrim wrote: »
    Thank you, i'd really join more for the making friends stuff, nobody I know has joined it so it would be a fresh start, but again if it bolsters the cv, I won't complain. I have been impressed by the info page for the Debating society, only wish the history soc was as productive. If i get a chance i'll certainly head to that debate ( may have to leave after 8 to catch a bus though :P) how much is it to join?

Do :) We're a friendly bunch!!

Plus debating always looks great on CV's , I think we're €4 to join, but you don't have to pay to come along on Thursday to check it out :):cool:

:D

Thanks, I may be unable to get there but rest assured i'll try and make it monday, i'm on late due to academic writing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

THe history soc used to be good, didn't it win some award in the 1990s? GUess people don't put in the effort that they used to. They only organised about 3 events this semester, hard to blame the folks who run the soc,who have fyps to do, but there isn't a lot of activity. Pity because it has a lot of potential.

Advertisement