Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best clubs/socs to join

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I really do like the look of the irish and debating societies in UL. Might join the two of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Skyrim wrote: »
    I really do like the look of the irish and debating societies in UL. Might join the two of them

Maith thú:)

Cumann Gaelach will be going on a trip to the Aran Islands on the 8th 9th and 1th of April(Next Weekend)

It Costs €2 to join the Cumann, and the trip is €30. PM me if your interested.:)

Thanks, may not be able to go on that trip but will join nonetheless.
    Debating soc right up my alley too, can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bubbles92

Thanks, may not be able to go on that trip but will join nonetheless.
    Debating soc right up my alley too, can only be good.

Glad that you think so :)

I imagine the debating must give you a lot of confidence too

• Advertisement

Would ye guys be organising anything during the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Would ye guys be organising anything during the summer?

We wont unfortunatly, We wont have any money at all,(Fireworks are Expencive;) )

We will be using the Summer to organise stuff for next year, The Recuitment day, and some events for the first couple of weeks. We are planing a three day event called Sproi Luimnigh for week three, basically it will be a smaller more compact version of Seachtain na Gaeilge in Semister One.

I imagine the debating must give you a lot of confidence too
    That it most certainly does :) Plus the bant is funny :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

Hey guys thanks for the shout out for windsurfing!! yeah!!

some fantastic clubs and socs in UL, really depends so much on your likes but of course allowing for trying new things

Us windsurfers are always happy to have new folks

OPC and kayakers have some fantastic trips etc and we always hear great things about them (wish I had more time to experience!)

getting to know other clubs and socs more recently, anime manga are a lovely bunch and very helpful, music and Dj soc same too! And there are some great characters between airsoft, game soc, archery, karate, ladies rugby (might not be for you!) and so many more!!

just can't keep up with them!

best of luck!

Went to the debating soc tonight. Did my first piece of debate proper, i felt like Enda Kenny speaking which doesn't bode well :P. To be fair the lads were very sound and let me off with it. Some of them would put you to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Went to the debating soc tonight. Did my first piece of debate proper, i felt like Enda Kenny speaking which doesn't bode well :P. To be fair the lads were very sound and let me off with it. Some of them would put you to shame.

I still remember feeling like an awful gimp the first time I stood up to speak and that was 4 years ago :) It's all in the practice! I could tell you stories about some of those lads that would put them to shame :)

Ah debating.... How I do miss you already...

Just a pity i joined so late in the year, still no reason why i can't keep at it next semester. Would love to go on the trips they take.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

I too have been impressed by the debate society, especially their web page, only wish someone would do likewise with history soc...sigh.

I still remember feeling like an awful gimp the first time I stood up to speak and that was 4 years ago :) It's all in the practice! I could tell you stories about some of those lads that would put them to shame :)

Ah debating.... How I do miss you already...

Debating misses you lorcanthrope!! :P

Ah glad you liked it!! Do come back next year :) We always welcome new members!! :D Plus IV's are great! Wish I could go to more!! :rolleyes:

mulner92 wrote: »
    I too have been impressed by the debate society, especially their web page, only wish someone would do likewise with history soc...sigh.

How about you do something about it? :D

I will, at the moment i'm just a lowly first year. Won't be able to do anything till an agm or something.

I will try and get more involved in the debate soc, wouldn't mind going on some of those trips and having great experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

Anybody here from ogra fianna fail, kind of interested in joining, looks good anyway, would ye recommend it?

I knew someone who went to college and joined clubs/socs, they said it was the best part of the experience, drinking is all well and good but it gets boring and expensive. Clubs/socs form a lot of the memories people have when leaving college.

Same Fraher, think the clubs/socs side is more enjoyable.

• Advertisement

Is it true some of the clubs/socs hold summer schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

mulner92 wrote: »
    Is it true some of the clubs/socs hold summer schools?

The Trampolining & Gymnastics Club is now seriously looking into it with Children from all over the place looking for Gymnastics classes.
    We also keep our Trampolines out during the summer for students who are around Limmers - if only Neasa would get back to me this year!!

Do young fianna fail and young fine gael do summer schools also?

Maybe Fine gael, not sure though, hoping to play a more active part in the clubs and socs next semester. Only got involved in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Fraher91 wrote: »
    Maybe Fine gael, not sure though, hoping to play a more active part in the clubs and socs next semester. Only got involved in the last few weeks.

Young Fine Gael do have a summer school some time around one of the bank holidays in the summer

Thanks, i heard fianna fail have it too but don't know for certain, fair play to them to keep doing things during the summer months.

History society off to Edinburgh and Fianna fail off somewhere else, pity my passport had to let me down and be out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im a member of young Fine Gael in UL. We do have a summer school, its usually on oxygen weekend in early July.

Do ye just go away for a weekend on summer school or do ye stay in ul?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Do ye just go away for a weekend on summer school or do ye stay in ul?

the young fine geal summer school is a national event for all branches in Ireland
    which is held in a different town each year last year's one was in tramore co waterford.

hope this answers your question

Advertisement