Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best clubs/socs to join

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fitzy08

Hate to hijack a thread, but thought this is the best place to post.

I also will be a first year this september, i would love to join soccer and rugby but Im not very athletic, I just want to join for the fun to be had in it, are these type of members allowed?

Also would love to join tennis, any views on that

Finally, after reading this thread I shall be signing up to debating!

Hey, did u join Tennis?? what level do u play at? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lallz

Hey...i was just wondering if anyone in the drama society knows whats planned for second semester? and do they take on new members for second semester? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Teslacuted

The facebook page is the main place for drama updates, though we've been a bit quiet over Christmas break. We'd love new members, anytime and we've got an fun plan coming up of getting as many member produced/written one act plays on during the semester as possible, as well as the usual big productions (including musicals, usually).

Come along to the C&S recruitment drive or to one of the soon-to-be-scheduled events once semester starts back.

Hugh
    DramaPres

PS.

https://www.facebook.com/uldrama

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lallz

Teslacuted wrote: »
    The facebook page is the main place for drama updates, though we've been a bit quiet over Christmas break. We'd love new members, anytime and we've got an fun plan coming up of getting as many member produced/written one act plays on during the semester as possible, as well as the usual big productions (including musicals, usually).

Come along to the C&S recruitment drive or to one of the soon-to-be-scheduled events once semester starts back.

Hugh
    DramaPres

PS.

https://www.facebook.com/uldrama

thanks for that...ya il be sure to call into the C&S drive :) i forgot that there was one at the start of second semester aswel :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Lallz wrote: »
    thanks for that...ya il be sure to call into the C&S drive :) i forgot that there was one at the start of second semester aswel :P

On that note, when is the next recruitment drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Hopefully interest in the history society will pick up again, think only one event was organised last semester. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭RovinPirate

I'm gonna say Anime and Manga society and Games society. By far they have the most activities and a really friendly group. Of the four societies I joined, they are the ones I fell in love with and will stay in for all my years at UL. Well, unless they kick me out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Buddha_Statue

I was just wondering do you have to pre-register for C&S's that you would like to join before the drive on Wednesday(?) or can you just sign up there?
    shabouwcaw wrote: »
    you can just sign up there, but it saves a lot of time if you pre-register.
    It also means if the 'unthinkable' happens and UL Wireless decides to take a nap, you can just give them your money and ID number and they can activate your account when they get back to a reliable internet source. Was a bit of a nightmare at the last one, no reliable internet for the first two hours and most people hadn't pre-registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Lallz wrote: »

On that note, when is the next recruitment drive?

Wednesday Wk 2, Feb 1st!!

Forum Soc ftw :)

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Wednesday Wk 2, Feb 1st!!

Thank you very much! :)

Just in case anyone who's planning on signing up to something is reading this: I can't emphasise this enough. PRE-REGISTER BEFORE THE DRIVE! It makes my job and the jobs of the other socs/clubs a lot easier! I'll give you a hug if you do it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    Thank you very much! :)

Just in case anyone who's planning on signing up to something is reading this: I can't emphasise this enough. PRE-REGISTER BEFORE THE DRIVE! It makes my job and the jobs of the other socs/clubs a lot easier! I'll give you a hug if you do it. :)

*preregisters for all the socs OhMSGlive is a member of* ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sabiandale

Trad Soc and Dance UL... Great craic in both!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

OhMSGlive wrote:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

seriously, its saves you and the club/soc so much time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hi everyone. :)

I'm strongly considering going to UL next Autumn, I just have a question about how many clubs and societies it's possible to do in reality. I have a list of about thirteen that I'd really love to join, but I'm trying to narrow that down to no more than five or six.

But my main question is, how many sports would you recommend at most? I need to choose between about six of them, so I'm wondering how many I should narrow it down to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

different sports clubs have different training times and alot of the them end up clashing, for example the mens rugby club and american football train at the same time (mon eve and wed eve)

you also have to factor in the impact on your body, push yourself to far and you will be plagued with fatigue which will lead to injuries, then you can do nothing

realistically i would go with no more than 3 and thats a stretch, you have college work and nights out too so your time is quite limited. Im only part of one ul club but i play with a limerick club also so that takes up 4/5 of my evenings and some of my weekend too, i couldnt fit in another if i tried.

it all depends on the time you have free and what your body can take. for first year try and get involved as much as possible but be realistic on what you can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

freyners wrote: »
    different sports clubs have different training times and alot of the them end up clashing, for example the mens rugby club and american football train at the same time (mon eve and wed eve)

you also have to factor in the impact on your body, push yourself to far and you will be plagued with fatigue which will lead to injuries, then you can do nothing

realistically i would go with no more than 3 and thats a stretch, you have college work and nights out too so your time is quite limited. Im only part of one ul club but i play with a limerick club also so that takes up 4/5 of my evenings and some of my weekend too, i couldnt fit in another if i tried.

it all depends on the time you have free and what your body can take. for first year try and get involved as much as possible but be realistic on what you can do

Thanks, yeah I was thinking three would be the absolute maximum, just thought I'd get some more opinions. :)

I have four sports that I'd be really into doing, and then two or three that I'd just try out to do something different, so I'll probably try to pick three from the four I'm more serious about.

Would three sports make it almost impossible to be in one or two societies? I'd love to join a couple.

Togepi wrote: »
    Hi everyone. :)

I'm strongly considering going to UL next Autumn, I just have a question about how many clubs and societies it's possible to do in reality. I have a list of about thirteen that I'd really love to join, but I'm trying to narrow that down to no more than five or six.

But my main question is, how many sports would you recommend at most? I need to choose between about six of them, so I'm wondering how many I should narrow it down to?

2. You won't have time to commit to more than that, take it from me.

Togepi wrote: »
    Would three sports make it almost impossible to be in one or two societies? I'd love to join a couple.

Not impossible, but difficult. Most soc's meet on the same day (wednesday), so if there's training on then it's tricky enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Hey guys

Whats the American Football like in UL?

I contemplated joining in semester 1, but to be honest I dont have any gear and ive only vaguely seen it on tv, are they friendly? high start up cost? good social group?

Advertisement