Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough idea of cost of engineer's report/survey...

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

My apologies if the wrong forum or has been posted before, was not sure of the terminology which is why nothing turned up I suspect.

Here is my situation very plainly - we have a wall at the bottom of our garden that was nearing collapse just before Christmas. A number of factors potentially contributed to its near collapse, all of which have now been dealt with bar one - I should add that our neighbors had put in what I believe is known as a planter wall (essentially a lower wall filled with earth and surrounded by brick for plants and ornaments etc. behind our wall on their side). As it turned out after, the builder I had working on it told me he could not find any drainage for their wall, despite their assurances there was, and that this likely contributed to our wall's collapse and may do so in the future.

Anyway long story short I paid to get the wall sorted as it was in danger of collapse etc. I now simply want to get an engineer (maybe land surveyor is the term?) in to put what my builder said in official terms and just to put the neighbours on notice that we will not be caught for this in the future if it causes the same or further problems. I do not wish to get in to the various scenarios surrounding this complex issue, or issues of blame, I would like just a very rough idea from other's experiences as to what such a report might cost? (And maybe some help with the terminology!)

Advertisement