Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows reporting a HDD error - Should I worry?

• 21-03-2011 12:28am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Came back from holidays today and, twice so far, Windows (7) has reported a hardware fault with my primary Samsung drive on which I've a lot of stuff stored and not enough space on external drives to back it up to.
    I noticed the PC was a bit sluggish at responding when I started up and, unlike normal, I had started it from "Sleep" mode rather than a cold start but that shouldn't matter.

Should I be worried? Is it possible to get a false alarm? I don't relish the thought of forking out for a new HDD based on one or two warnings received this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Best get a new drive and copy data to it. You could always use the old drive as an emergency backup as it will fail eventually..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'll probably buy one this week and, for now, I'll back up my documents and photos (I can always re-install Windows 7 if I need to).

The HDD is only a year old - it shouldn't be having issues. Would (and I can't see why) putting Windows in "Sleep" mode affect it? Or is that pure co-incidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Putting it to sleep wont make a difference, its probably a firmware error on the pcb board. I have a Samsung 320gb with same problem and it was a year old when problem started. The error messages got more frequent and thought it was best to change drives just in case. I use the drive now and again and it still comes up with the same errors.

Shouldn't happen at that age but best to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

windows 7 has issues with away mode drivers - disable those if your pc has them installed. (away mode drivers have adverse effects on sleep mode)

also back up your data (in the form of an disk image) on an external drive equal to or greater than the drive in trouble

then using samsung's had drive tool http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

run disc scan (block check) followed by a low level format to mark any bad blocks on your drive then run a standard windows ntfs format.

once your drive is running normally you can copy your disc image back on to it.

Advertisement