Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious neighbourhood dogs

• 21-03-2011 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I never usually post in this forum, but a very upsetting incident happened today and I wanted to ask your opinions.

I live in a housing estate in a small town, where a lot of families with small children also live. There are 3 greyhounds that are owned by someone that lives in this estate, but he allows them to roam free in a pack. Now these dogs are vicious, they have bitten two people in the last month (incidents that were reported to the guards, but as far as I know nothing has been done about it. If you are out walking, these dogs will follow you growling and barking which is very frightening, and they have attacked other dogs when they are being walked by their owners.

This afternoon, these 3 greyhounds chased my next door neighbours cat into my front garden and literally tore the poor cat to shreds (the gate was closed, but it is a low wall and they jumped it). The savageness of the attack actually made me vomit. My father happened to be at my house, and when he saw what was happening, he went out into my garden and tried to get the dogs off the cat by hitting them with his walking stick. They turned on him, jumping on him and knocking him to the ground (he has a 1inch cut on his nose that we think was from one of the dogs claws, and grazes all along both arms where he hit the ground). Luckily, other neighbours started shouting and it scared the dogs away before they bit him.

Unfortunately, the cats injuries were too severe, and he died of his injuries about 5mins later.

We rang the Guards to report the incident but they did not want to know, they said 'animals are nothing to do with them', even though this is the 3rd complaint about them in as many weeks, and the dogs owner obviously does not give two hoots!! It is only a matter of time before a child is bitten to death imo

Could people here advise what we should do, should we ring the ISPCA and what can they do about vicious dogs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You know if this was a farm and not an estate and it was a sheep and not a cat that was killed these dogs would have been shot on he spot and the neighbour billed for vet fees (to verify what happened) and possible more fees if other sheep were affected like abortions.

But it happens in an estate and no swift action is taken. You could nearly say livestock gets better protection then your father did!

Well afaik it costs €100 to be seen in A&E these days so if your father goes that's compensation due.
    Or even GP fees if your father goes along that route so be sure to follow up. Not calling for "compo" here but no point being out of pocket

Get a notebook and write down the time and dates of when the gardai were contacted so you'll remember.
    Call the council and see what their normal procedure is, the dogs might be destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

That is horrendous, that poor cat and your poor Father, and you having to witness it.

The Gards are lying, it is their responsibility. Go to the barracks and tell them you want to make a complaint about the dogs and about their handling of the situation.

Phone the dog warden tomorrow and report it as well.

I don't want to see any dog being put to sleep, but its not fair on other people that they have to put up with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

My Father has a medical card, so not worried about bills and thank God he is ok. He had a narrow escape, and there is no doubt in my mind that if we (me and other neighbours) hadn't been there to scare the dogs away, they would have done to my Father what they did to the poor cat.

Basically, the guards do not seem to give a feck. The dogs have been reported already and nothing has been done........ I wonder if the dogs kill a child will they act then?

ISDW wrote: »
    That is horrendous, that poor cat and your poor Father, and you having to witness it.

The Gards are lying, it is their responsibility. Go to the barracks and tell them you want to make a complaint about the dogs and about their handling of the situation.

I don't want to see any dog being put to sleep, but its not fair on other people that they have to put up with this.

I think part of the issue with the Guards not wanting to be involved is that the guy that owns the dogs is a traveller, who will probably deny ever seeing the dogs in his life if they call to his door.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Traveller or not the guards are lying, they can do something about it. It is illegal for dogs to be roaming around out of control and that incident could have been prevented if they had done something earlier. The poor cat and your poor father. Do you know who owns the cat?

Keep hounding the guards and the dog warden until something is done. Greyhounds are actually lovely dogs and it's a pity that idiots like this who own them portray them in such bad light. :mad:

Just to add if he does deny owning them then they will be taken by the dog warden as strays, depending on which pound they go to they may be lucky enough to be taken out by a rescue but most likely they will just be put down.

• Advertisement

Yep, my next door neighbour owns the cat. His name was Jerry and my neighbour had him for nearly 10years, she is very understandably upset, I will miss Jerry myself, he used to spend hours on my trampoline sunbathing and used to come into my kitchen looking for treats most days:(

I think I'll go to the Garda Station tomorrow with my Father, show them his injuries and see what they say. I'l report back here.......

Thanks everyone for your advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you get nowhere with the gardaí then escalate.

Ask the garda for the sergeant.
    Ask the sergeant for the superintendent

Someone will take action

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

ISDW wrote: »

+ 1, ask for the sargent, tell him about your previous complaints, he'll be not too happy with his guys dodging their responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP also get your father to visit his GP and let them know that he may wish to press charges and wants his injuries documented. Also inform the Guardi if you are not taken seriously you will be forced to make a formal complaint in relation to how you have be dealt with by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Do also call the dog warden and get them to pick up the dogs. Not right for people to be having to cope with this sort of situation, the dogs will probably be better off away from that owner anyway :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

All 3 dogs and AND the owner should be put to sleep forever:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would definitely get you father to the doctor, and get the doctor to record the injuries, then go to the guards again with your father (I'm assuming him having a walking stick means he's an elderly man) and point out that you have done this. Also make a point that if there hadn't been others there to defend your father it may have been much worse. Tell them there are kids in the area and the dogs roam free, also report to the dog warden.
    As said above ask for the sergeant if you don't get a result.
    I hope you father is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

OP, that is an absolute disgrace. It sickens me to hear about your neighbour's cat, and I'm glad your father was okay.

I would definitely follow up with the Gardaí. I would also contact a councillor in your constituency who is known for getting things done. If you get nowhere with either of these avenues, contact the Garda Ombudsman: http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/gsoc-garda-ombudsman-complaints.htm

I really wish you the very best in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't want to belittle what happened to the cat or how you must feel having witnessed it but when you are talking to guards don't make so much about the cat attack, focus on your dad being hurt and humans being intimidated. Tbh, it'll be a rare guard who will be bothered with getting involved in a case of dogs attacking a cat, they'll just see that as nature and not worth the paperwork. And the odds are you'll get written off as a Helen Lovejoy type equating a dog attacking a cat to a dog attacking a child, so your point about the dogs displaying aggressive tendencies toward humans will get ignored.

It can be very, very hard to get the guards/dog warden to take roaming aggressive dogs seriously, so don't allow them any excuse to ignore you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

falan wrote: »
    All 3 dogs and AND the owner should be put to sleep forever:mad:

Nope, only the owner. 3 dogs are they way they are because of him.

Individually rehomed they may be the best pets going.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Poppygal

Any updates Rainbowdrop? I too am having some issues with neighbour’s vicious straying dogs at the moment so curious as to whether the guards have stepped in and helped. I had to contact them here today and they are sending someone out tomorrow to speak to the owners. If this proves to be unsuccessful I considering taking matters into my own hands...I don't fancy waiting around till myself or my little girl are mauled before someone takes it seriously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

this is crazy, if this was my estate and the guards didnt sort this out after the first complaint i would have sorted it out myself. make sure the guards listen to you they are great at fobbin people off

Advertisement