Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy licking

• 21-03-2011 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Got 2new pups recently and noticed that when there sleeping if 1wakes she keeps licking the others ear. Normally id think nothing of it but she licks the inside of his ear repeatedly.

Is this normal and is it something i should be looking 2stop?
    Worried it might give the other fella an ear infection r something

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I've always considered it to be perfectly natural. The dog can't clean his/her ears so the other dog steps in. My dog Meg goes this to Jack, the other dog, regularly. She'll clean his ears, his head, his muzzle. It amuses me that Jack, who likes to try to be the boss in other situations, will happily submit to Meg grooming him. Sometimes she plants her paw on his head to keep him from moving while she cleans him off and he doesn't bat an eyelid.

Seeing her do that also reassured me that whatever other issues they had as pups, being territorial over their personal boundaries wasn't one of them. I wouldn't worry about it, OP, but for your own peace of mind, you can check the ears to make sure there's no problems there. Your pup certainly won't be harmed by the licking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭BigBoi83

Cool, it looks like shes doing it with good intentions n bruce doesnt seem to budge but i just wanted to be sure...

they were at the vet recently n i didnt tink 2ask him but he didnt have any issues neway so im prob just being an over cautious parent hahaha

Advertisement