Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defered my place last yr..this year i'm pregnant?what to do...

Options
  • 21-03-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Last year i applied as a mature student and got a place but ended up having to defer for a year which i was disappointed about. So all year i'v been really looking forward to taking up my place this sept. However i recently discovered i was pregnant. I found out quite late (i was already over 5months when i realised i was pregnant) and i'm due my baby in june. The course i have a place on is social care which is quite an intensive course anyway with a big work load. If i was to take my place in sept my baby would only be 3months old and i just don.t think i'l be able for it this year as this will be my first child and i know its going to be hard. As will the course and i feel juggling both at the same time, for me, will be impossible so i am wondering if anyone knows where i would stand with the college- would they allow me to defer again untill the following year or will i have to let my place go and re-apply next year? Or alternatively if there was a similar course taught in the college on a part time basis would they allow me to swap internally from one course to another this year without re-applying, as i think i would be able to manage college part time while also caring for a new baby. If anyone knows what my options may be or has actually faced a similar situation themselves before please let me know! Thanks :-) P.S i do plan to talk to the college about all this but i just wanted to get a better idea of what my options may be first. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I think your best bet is to talk to the college. If they have a mature student support officer or someone like that, talk to them about deferring or going part time. Otherwise call the admissions people and tell them your situation. The rules about deferring will differ from college to college, and while one college will be willing to bend the rules for specific cases, others won't. Hopefully you'll find someone helpful and be able to defer or go part time.

Best of luck with it, (and congratulations!)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

hi cliona . Thanks, i do plan to go to the college but just wanted to see if anyone knew what the situation night be first:) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BodyofaBuddah

Quertytlk definitely have a chat with your college. They'll be able to help you out! Congrats on the pregnancy. I was doing social care part time when I got pregnant with my first child. I had just gone into 2nd year when I had her and yes it was tough but definitely manageable. Now in the final few weeks of my honours degree and have a 2.5yr old and a 3mth old so it is definitely doable part time!

Best of luck with it!

Advertisement