Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPERA for Hotels

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi I hope someone can help me. I have many years exp in the hotel bus and have used multiple PMS's (Property Management Systems) - Protel, Hotel, RoomMaster, Fidelio(micros) and PORTfolio(softbrands) but all job adds refer to OPERA now I know micros have opera but is Portfolio also an opera system? Please help have been out of work for sometime now and don't want to miss out on jobs because of program names. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 guinnessfan

Hi OP,

Opera is an advanced Micros/Fidelio PMS. If you have used Fidelio before, then Opera will be no problem to you. I also work in the sector and have found Opera to be the best of the lot. There really is no difference between to two except Opera is more detailed and easier to use for front desk and reservations

Hope this Helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 krisbecs

it's been a very long time since I used fidelio! the system I've used most over the years was portfolio a windows based system and as it was interfaced with the micros pos in the bar and restraunt I thought this may have been an opera system.
    The job market is so fierce out there when the add says must have opera experience I am basically out of the running before I start even though I have over 13 years exp front of house and res manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

krisbecs wrote: »
    The job market is so fierce out there when the add says must have opera experience I am basically out of the running before I start even though I have over 13 years exp front of house and res manager.

I'm NOT in the hotel business in any way but Add's are wish lists. 13 years front of house should stand to you. Why not find a nice local hotel who use Opera and ask them if you could work for free for a few hours to get up to speed on Opera. Win win for both of you.

If its the same as Fidelio then it should be easy for you..If they ask you in the interview if you have exp you can just say "Yes, I have experiece with Opera I find it quite similar to Fidelio. In my 13 years running front of the house, I have used most PMS's (Property Management Systems) - Protel, Hotel, RoomMaster, Fidelio(micros), PORTfolio(softbrands) etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

What part of the country are you in krisbecs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭tech

Jasus i remember Fidelio running on Novell and NT4 back in the day :) Opera is just the n ew Fidelio in windows it runs on Oracle and uses Adobe, Seems like a easy enough system to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement