Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

babies

Options
  • 21-03-2011 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hi all,
    First time poster...
    Im looking for help. im going to be a dad smile.gif I found out a few weeks ago and need help. i want to start buying newborn baby stuff, ie nappies, formula, baby grows etc to get started and also as a surprise to my partner to have things ready! can anybody give me any pointers on what to buy exactly. Any help would be very appreciated.
    thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

seangannon wrote: »
    hi all,
    First time poster...
    Im looking for help. im going to be a dad smile.gif I found out a few weeks ago and need help. i want to start buying newborn baby stuff, ie nappies, formula, baby grows etc to get started and also as a surprise to my partner to have things ready! can anybody give me any pointers on what to buy exactly. Any help would be very appreciated.
    thanks!!
    A nice sentiment, but the stuff gathering can be an essential part of "nest making" for the mum to be, so it may not actually be the nice surprise that you'd hope :)

Congrats by the way!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Unfortunatly there are something you can't really bulk by in advance.
    Depending on the size weight of the baby when it's born it nappy size can vary.
    Bulk buying formula is also something which can be a problem as it may not suit the baby and you could be stuck with it.
    Even wipes can be an issue, I bulk bought a certian brand and we had been using them on our first born and when the second child arrived she was extremely allergic.

I suggest start with one pack of everything and building the birth go bag which goes into hopsital.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

congrats:)
    Treat the mammy to some nice maternity clothes,h&m have a good range.
    It is important that who ever pushes the buggy most picks it.
    kiddicare.com is where we bought cots,pram,buggy,nearly everything because it was the cheapest.
    Hold off on buying formula because different formulas suit different babies.
    boots size 2 newborn nappies are the best that we found.
    The 24 hour and 48 hour sterilisers are what I would recommend.
    Tommee tippee anti colic plus bottles we found brilliant.
    So much stuff I could recommend!!if only I could remember it all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Congratulations. You're life is about to get totally turned on it's head, but you won't change it for all the money in the world ;)

Here's my advice, buying nappies is a good idea. I did when I was pregnant on my first child, and I didn't have to buy them for a year, I had them all stored up in the attic. Buy one or two packs of newborn nappies, then buy a pack of size 2 and three. That way you have bigger nappies for when needed.
    Baby wipes. Buy sensitive ones. You can NEVER, and mean NEVER have too many baby wipes!

Another thing I would definitely buy are terry nappies. Not to use as nappies, but for putting on your shoulder after feeding, for wiping away dribble and all that kinda thing. They come in VERY handy. Another thing you can definitely buy (this might sound strange) is tights. Makes no difference if you have a boy, get neutral colours. They are a gift, and will keep babys feet warm and won't fall off. By all means buy baby vests. They are another thing you will go through very quickly. Buy a variety of sizes too, that way you have them when you need them.

Buy a thermometer too. You're always gonna need one.

Don't stock up on formula. You will never know if your baby will be allergic or not.

Enjoy being a daddy, especially of an infant, cos it really does go in the blink of an eye!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

never thought of terry nappies for feeding we use muslin squares and they are brilliant or a tea towel if nothing else is near:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sorry to hijack the thread a little but has anyone any suggestions to maternity wear sites online?
    I want to buy my other half some clothes
    I'm too busy to head into the city with work but i'd like to treat her:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

seangannon wrote: »
    hi all,
    First time poster...
    thanks!!

Advice my sister and I got from my parents (who had 4 of us) and which my sis tested - to great success - on her two.

Don't buy too many newborn baby clothes, better to have the clothes too big than too small. Avoid anything that has to be pulled over the babies head. Buy stuff that has pop fasteners all down the front and legs, easier to get on and off the baby (and you won't have to pull wet/soiled clothes over the baby's head).

Buy footless rompers/sleepsuits as an alternative to babygro's - they're more accommodating of longer (or shorter) limbed babies and bigger feet.

Baby sleeping bags (Ikea have some lovely ones at less than half the cost of some other brands) are highly recommended as an alternative to blankets/quilts. They open at the bottom to allow for night time changes without disturbing the baby too much and for feeds you can easily pick up baby and sleeping bag and replace them after, again, with minimal disturbance.

Can't offer you any nappy/formula advice as we're going reusable in nappies and none of my family have ever considered doing anything other than breastfeeding, or the lazy option, as my Mum and sister refer to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 seangannon

some great advice thanks folks. yeah formula is hit or miss anyways because my fiance is not sure what she is going to do yet in terms of breastfeeding. her sister only had a baby last year and kept every bit of baby gear for us should we want it so we are blessed on that front, ie cot, buggie, etc. I've started on a fatherhood book too, although i think chapter 3 is entitled 'run' so its partially for fun. anyways thanks for all he advice!!!!!:)

Advertisement