Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tower advice

• 21-03-2011 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Hello all. My nice is changing her tower (no need for monitor) and I'm looking at this Dell. She mainly uses it for Music, Office, Skype.

Any opinions. Alternatively waiting for one to come in at Aldi/Lidl.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

looks grand to me.
    Decent all rounder. Good hard drive (7200rpm). Graphics card is fine but not for gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since your niece will just use the PC for regular stuff and no hardcore gaming/CAD I think you can go with just about anything.
    An Aldi/Lidl would do the job but check with Currys/PC World etc for any sales. Most offers will come with monitor and keyboard/etc but you can sell those on or store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

The great thing about aldi/lidl is the warranty can be 2 or 3 years long whereas dell's standard warranty is 1 year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

True. Thanks for the advice everyone.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

cookie1977 wrote: »
    The great thing about aldi/lidl is the warranty can be 2 or 3 years long whereas dell's standard warranty is 1 year

yep but if it goes tits up you will be missing your pc for a month , where as dell will send someone out next day which you cannot beat imo. And you can extend the dell to 2/3 for a bit extra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

What bout this one in Argos

Intel Core i3 540M
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    500GB SATA hard drive
    nVIDIA GeForce 310 graphics card with 512MB memory
    6 USB ports
    Wireless/WiFi enabled
    Wired keyboard and mouse

Only (possible) downside is this review....
    "This is an excellent system for the price, modern processor, well built, looks great! Could have done with an x64 Win7 OS given the 4GB of RAM but the product key on the system is valid for that OS if you can ge the installation media."
    looks like it may be 32 bit. You could give them a shout to find out for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

Considering she's not looking for a high performance gaming or CAD type, why not get a laptop?

€500 (from the dell one you chose) + 100-200 if she sold her current desktop/monitor
    Would get her a pretty decent laptop.

Considering the benefits (mobility, no space taken up by desk etc.) I can't see why you'd consider a desktop.

Advertisement