Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invoice from liquidator - bill already paid

Options
  • 21-03-2011 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

My dad purchased some gravel from a quarry last year and negotiated a deal with the quarry at the time for a lower price than usual.

He received a bill for the agreed amount and paid it.

However the quarry has since gone into liquidation and he has received a bill for €127 which was the amount discounted from the original bill. He contacted the company in charge of the "debt" who sent the letter and they are adament that he owes it.

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hmm, sounds like the discount was not recorded on their system properly (perhaps they left an outstanding amount on the account, and never got round to writing it off as a discount).

I would write to the liquidators via registered mail, outlining the story. Furthermore, I would seek all documentation related to the purchase on their system - including a debtor's statement and copy of the original invoice.

Does your father have any written record of the discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Thanks for your response dudara.

I think the original agreement would have been oral as the order would probably have been placed by telephone. I will root out the invoice and write to the liquidator - he is contemplating paying it as they are threatening court action but I would really prefer if he didn't as he said he was very unhappy with the quality of the product in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ams wrote: »
    Thanks for your response dudara.

I think the original agreement would have been oral as the order would probably have been placed by telephone. I will root out the invoice and write to the liquidator - he is contemplating paying it as they are threatening court action but I would really prefer if he didn't as he said he was very unhappy with the quality of the product in the first place.

Bugger paying, just keep writing to them.

Just remember this is a game of bluff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My dad purchased some gravel from a quarry last year and negotiated a deal with the quarry at the time for a lower price than usual.

He received a bill for the agreed amount and paid it.

However the quarry has since gone into liquidation and he has received a bill for €127 which was the amount discounted from the original bill. He contacted the company in charge of the "debt" who sent the letter and they are adament that he owes it.

Can anyone advise?

Did you get a receipt?

If so, did it say "paid in full"?

If its on the company books you owe it, and you cannot prove your agreement, you may have trouble her.

But, for the sake of €127, you could argue like hell as I dont see them taking you to court or anything.

Im not sure if the company would have issued a receipt but will check it out, the 127 was never invoiced to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Did your father pay by cash or cheque?

Im not sure if the company would have issued a receipt but will check it out, the 127 was never invoiced to him.

He must have got some invoice or even a delivery docket.

If you have an invoice and a receipt, then as far as your concerned its paid.

If the 127 was never invoiced, write to them and tell them the matter is closed.

He paid via cheque.

The 127 was a discount negotiated by my Dad before the invoice issued so as Dudara said the discount must not have been written off from the books of the quarry or the order book obviously just stated the quantity ordered and the liquidators are assuming this would have been at the regular price.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Was this a quarry in Mayo by any chance?

Chickus wrote: »
    Was this a quarry in Mayo by any chance?

No ;)

• Advertisement

He paid via cheque.

The 127 was a discount negotiated by my Dad before the invoice issued.

So you got an invoice, and you paid it by cheque. This means you have a paper trail to show you paid for the delivery at the price they requested. Tell the liquidator this and that the matter is closed.

They cannot chase you anymore as it would be futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

So you got an invoice, and you paid it by cheque. This means you have a paper trail to show you paid for the delivery at the price they requested. Tell the liquidator this and that the matter is closed.

They cannot chase you anymore as it would be futile.

Spot on.

Advertisement