Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill swim

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    With the arrival of spring just out of interest when are yee planing to start the regular swims in Salthill.
    This week I will start and hope to keep it up till Sept anyone else taking the plunge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Hey Beagle I swim down in Blackrock daily along with ~ 20+ other swimmers.

Any time is a good time to swim down there, the water probably is still cold its about 6-7 degrees Celsius, so do not stay in any longer than 5 minutes maximum for the first couple of weeks.
    You may feel that you stay in longer, however your body temperature will continue to drop after you leave the water.

Further advice from a earlier post:

Is this something you wish to do daily? If so you should start your open water swimming now, or maybe the at the start of next week, when this cold snap passes.

The lowest sea temperature's in Irish waters occur around February, so it would be advisable to take advantage of the relatively warmer sea temperature of these preceding months, as a route of acclimatisation.

Assuming your healthy enough, to fully experience the joy of open water swimming, take the purist approach, no wetsuit!
    A swimming cap, surf gloves and booties may be required though.

I open water swim daily, it's amazing, it really connect's you the earth.

Obviously is goes without saying that jumping into open water at this time of year, and especially on New Year day will be shocking to anybody who doesn't regularly swim outdoors, so a visit to your GP before you take the plunge would be advisable if you have any underlying health concerns.

I'd also advise when you take your first dip, do so at daylight hours in waters you are familiar with, with plenty of bystander and with a clam sea state.
    Don't stay in any longer than a couple of minutes, even if your not feeling the cold, you will after you exit the water!

Enjoy it, I am yet to see someone not smiling after having a open water swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Hi OP, I don't swim in Blackrock myself but my husband does every year. He has started to swim again out there last week on average about 3 times a week and he loves it!!!!

Enjoy, I wish I wasn't such a "chicken" as he calls me.... Haha

Advertisement