Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Census.

Options
  • 21-03-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

I know Census Night is not until the 10th April. But have yet to receive one for our household, and have not had any knock on the door or calling cards from any of the Enumerators to say they had been round

Has anyone else in Sligo received/not received theirs yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Didn't get ours yet no.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

haven't received the forms yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭samsmammy

Census is the 10th April
    So hopefully you will have form by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

The ennumerator hasn't been here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

We missed them on Saturday they are coming back this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Yes! We got ours today, a woman in a hi-vis jacket delivered it and said "Oh good, you're in".

Must put it in a safe place now before I lose it/spill tea all over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

My mother works as an ennumerator and they only started delivering in the last week or so. They have to deliver to approx 400 houses in four weeks so don't panic! - They still have alot of houses to cover yet.

My advice for if they miss you, call the number they leave on the card and arrange a time you know you'll be at home. Makes it easier for them and for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Just received mine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Just got mine today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The enumerator has been around here for the last week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

got ours on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Nothing yet. What's the point of the census anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

NecroSteve wrote: »
    Nothing yet. What's the point of the census anyway?
    Have a look here, answering all sorts of questions about the census.

To answer your specific question, the site says:
    Why do we have a Census?
    The census will give a comprehensive picture of the social and living conditions of our people in 2011. Only a census can provide such complete detail. The census is not, however, an end in itself! Rather the results are essential tools for effective policy, planning and decision making purposes.
    Ireland has been conducting Censuses of Population since 1821. This enables us to track developments over a long period with considerable accuracy. The census is therefore a fundamental part of our national heritage and collective knowledge.

What is the Census used for?
    At national level current population statistics are essential for planning the provision of health care, education, employment, etc. Regional figures are critical for determining regional policy and for the operation of regional authorities (e.g. Health Boards). The greatest strength of the census is the provision of detailed population figures at local level. These help to identify likely demand for schools and health care facilities, areas of relatively high unemployment, the best location for new shops, etc. Article 16.2 of the Constitution (Bunreacht na hÉireann) lays down that the total membership of Dáil Eireann depends on the population as measured by the census (i.e. 1 TD per 20,000 to 30,000 persons). Constituency reviews normally take place once the definitive results of the census have been published.
    The census is also the only means of accurately measuring the exact extent of migration. By comparing the results of successive censuses, and taking account of the number of births and deaths that have occurred over the same period, we get an accurate measure of net migration (the difference between inward and outward migration).

Oh right so. Something I'd never actually thought about until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Don't agree with the people they pick as enumerators. I've seen one who's from the area and already has a job as a teacher. I think it should be people who aren't from the immediate area and think it should be left to trustworthy unemployed people (assuming some applied for it) rather than those in full time employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Just got ours about an hour ago.

NecroSteve wrote: »
    What's the point of the census anyway?

Big brother wants to know what you've been up to since 2006.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Don't agree with the people they pick as enumerators. I've seen one who's from the area and already has a job as a teacher. I think it should be people who aren't from the immediate area and think it should be left to trustworthy unemployed people (assuming some applied for it) rather than those in full time employment.
    you apply for it they applied for it and got it seems pretty fair to me,your employment status shouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

At national level current population statistics are essential for planning the provision of health care, education, employment, etc. Regional figures are critical for determining regional policy and for the operation of regional authorities (e.g. Health Boards).

Planning these essential services is one thing, providing them is another. We can't even afford to maintain them as they are at the moment let alone improve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

you apply for it they applied for it and got it seems pretty fair to me,your employment status shouldn't make a difference.
    It's not just employment status I'm on about, it's the fact that they're working an area they're from. For confidentiality purposes it shouldn't be someone from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

thebuzz wrote: »
    It's not just employment status I'm on about, it's the fact that they're working an area they're from. For confidentiality purposes it shouldn't be someone from the area.

If you were out in rural Mayo you would need to have local knowledge to get to some of the houses,find new houses and have people open doors to you.It would probably be ok in the city but countryside needs someone semi-local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

irish-stew wrote: »
    I know Census Night is not until the 10th April. But have yet to receive one for our household, and have not had any knock on the door or calling cards from any of the Enumerators to say they had been round

Has anyone else in Sligo received/not received theirs yet?

Yesterday a woman in a high-vis vest came into my work place and was asking us if anyone lived above us so she could see them about the census. I told her if she just walked around the back of that alley way there were apartments and she couldn't miss the large glass doors that belonged to the apartment complex.

She started walking behind the counter and ended up in our bathroom when I asked her what she was doing, she told me she thought the enterance to the apartment block was through our shop...

Hold on tight, Irish-Stew. I'd say she'll be with you shortly. :pac:

I dont see what employment or unemployment has to do with it,
    The positions were advertised and I applied the same as any other person in the country could have,I did the interview and got the job as I was suitable,I seen it advertised in the newspaper and chased it up.

Regarding people from the area,,You can ask your enumerator for a confidental envelope to put your completed form on and seal before handing back

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Got it last night. Man theres alot of questions on there.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Got it last night. Man theres alot of questions on there.

Its mostly just ticks so shouldnt take that long.:)

Ive 200 apartments left & only 10 forms,,,
    Waiting on FS to supply more,,,Im dying to get finished delivering now

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

samsmammy wrote: »
    Its mostly just ticks so shouldnt take that long.:)

I remember filling it out 5 years ago, seems slightly more this time around, although probably deciving considering theres space on it for serveral people.

Its some difference to the 1911 one.

:D

I dont see what employment or unemployment has to do with it,
    The positions were advertised and I applied the same as any other person in the country could have,I did the interview and got the job as I was suitable,I seen it advertised in the newspaper and chased it up.

Regarding people from the area,,You can ask your enumerator for a confidental envelope to put your completed form on and seal before handing back
    i think you have quoted the wrong person as the person i had quoted was giving off that one of the enumerators were a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

If they employed people from different areas it would cost them a fortune in travel expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

You can ask your enumerator for a confidental envelope to put your completed form on and seal before handing back

Of course there would be nothing to stop them from removing the census form from the envelope themselves later. Since many will be handed back without envelopes, so the confidential envelope is not really private or tamper proof. I got my form very early, possibly two weeks ago. It's someone from the area, which is a bit of a joke because she seems like a right nosy b1tch.

• Advertisement

Big brother wants to know what you've been up to since 2006.

It's off to the Ministry of Love for me so.

Advertisement