Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key fob for Apartment - Who pays

Options
  • 21-03-2011 1:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The tenant has asked me for a replacement key fob. They say the battery has died.

Who is responsible for the replacement of the key fob.

Is it a consumable item and hence the tenant or is it a ware a tear item hence me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I would say you.

If it had been lost I would say them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

It's your responsibility to replace the fob in this case.

Is it a car park remote? Don't know of any fobs that require batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

You can get a replacement battery from a motor factors - shouldnt be more than €6.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The fob is for letting people into the building. Looks like something in this link

The management company wants €55 for a replacement. I'll ask for the tenants to return the existing fob and if it appears to be damaged/broken I will ask them to replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

godtabh wrote: »
    The tenant has asked me for a replacement key fob. They say the battery has died.

Who is responsible for the replacement of the key fob.

Is it a consumable item and hence the tenant or is it a ware a tear item hence me?

Those type of fobs don't typically have batteries. They contain a wire coil, an IC and a capacitor. There's nothing replaceable in them. If the break they break. Just like any electronics device they wear out over time. Can't see how anyone could carelessly break one of them other than with a hammer. They're fairly indestructible. Scratches and drops shouldn't affect them.

Just replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've order the replacement and paid for it.

If it turns out to be a genuine fault no issue but if they have broken it some how or have mis placed it they I will be asking them to replace it.

I've asked them to return the fault fob and we'll go from there

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As above, I have one, there's no battery. See what guarantee from the supplier>

MarkR wrote: »
    As above, I have one, there's no battery. See what guarantee from the supplier>

Its over 4 years old so doubt there will be a guarantee with it but will check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

godtabh wrote: »
    The fob is for letting people into the building. Looks like something in this link

The management company wants €55 for a replacement

Management company are robbing you blind, only $13 in the link for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

djmcr wrote: »
    Management company are robbing you blind, only $13 in the link for example

The price they charge you probably also includes VAT and customs duty which aren't in the US price, as well as paying the cost of someone needing to get the system programmed to accept the new fob, and the admin time in dealing with the person requesting it

(not that €55 doesn't seem too high, but €10 seems too low)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I had to replace a battery in the fob to open the gate in an estate I lived in last year. The landlady said she'd drop a replacement battery in but for whatever reason took two weeks to do it so I ended up with a spare. It only cost a couple of Euro anyway thankfully, nowhere near the expensive- sounding €55 from godtabh's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 heineken1

where did you get battery malice. My fob to get into underground carpark is not working, light comes on it when button pressed but doesnt open gate.thinking that its more than the battery but might try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

heineken1 wrote: »
    where did you get battery malice. My fob to get into underground carpark is not working, light comes on it when button pressed but doesnt open gate.thinking that its more than the battery but might try it.
    At it happens I started a thread about it in the Cork City forum. I don't know if it'll be much help but check it out here.

Advertisement