Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing wood to Metal

• 21-03-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Quick question, what is the most effective way of attaching 20mm plywood strip onto metal plate.

The task is to fix the wood onto a steel lintel that is above a window opening, and the window will pin to the wood - but I'm not sure of the best way to attach the wood to the steel?

Thanks, Adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Outside.... Brass nuts and bolts....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

AdamAntsy wrote: »
    Quick question, what is the most effective way of attaching 20mm plywood strip onto metal plate.

The task is to fix the wood onto a steel lintel that is above a window opening, and the window will pin to the wood - but I'm not sure of the best way to attach the wood to the steel?

Thanks, Adam

there are countersunk zinc plated self tapper screws available that have a metal cutting bit at the front so with a slow speed on the cordless you just run them in. be careful not to strip the threads, especially in thin metal.

cant think of technical name:) Tucks in Finglas will have them

if the lintel is an RSJ I drill a pilot hole first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Carlow52 wrote: »
    cant think of technical name:) Tucks in Finglas will have them

Tec Screws

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

Tec screws - thanks - they should cut through steel plate ok then? I'll give 'em a go - thanks a mill. Was thinking hilti gun route, but didn't really want to rent kit.

Lintel isn't an RSJ in these cases as far as I know, but I'll double check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

AdamAntsy wrote: »
    Tec screws - thanks - they should cut through steel plate ok then? I'll give 'em a go - thanks a mill. Was thinking hilti gun route, but didn't really want to rent kit.

Lintel isn't an RSJ in these cases as far as I know, but I'll double check.

there is am image here
    http://www.fastenmscstore.com/thinwaferhead.html
    looks like it can be spelled TEK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

there is a new product from tech 7(adhesive) that bonds instantly, brooks sell it but its around 14 euro a tube.
    http://www.traditionalbuildingsolutions.ie/Tec7.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AdamAntsy

I have some Tech7 as well - I need this to last as long as the PvC Windows last, so I may try the screw option rather than adhesive?

Advertisement