Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Banking

Options
  • 21-03-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I have recently starting trading as a sole trader and I now want to set up a bank account for my business. I have a personal account with AIB and I have looked in to an AIB business account but I dont want to set up an account with them as their fees are too high.
    What alternatives do I have?
    Can I set up a business account in a credit union or the post office?
    My main dealings will be lodging cheques in my business name.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ciarán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If your running a business you'll need a business account.

If the bank notices that you are running it through a personal account they may find out and force you to open a business account.

Shop around for a more competitive business account.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CiaranC33

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if I can I set up a business account in a credit union or the post office?
    if not can anyone advise on the bank with the best rates for a small business.

Thanks

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK, you'll need to set up business account through a bank. You could ring your local credit union and check it out though.

Some banks have introductory packages for businesses where you get either fee-free or reduced fee banking for your first year or two. I know BOI have one of these packages, and I'd assume the other banks will too.

Whatever way you look at it, business accounts have higher fees than personal accounts. It might be worth popping in to a few of the different banks and chat with the business advisor, who will be able to go through the charging structure with you and then you'll be able to decide which bank is best for you.

Advertisement