Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding accommodation in Dublin with a pet?

• 21-03-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all! I plan to get a chihuahua or a pomeranian puppy during this summer,as I will have plenty time to properly train,housebreak and bond with my puppy before I will be looking again for rented accommodation again in around late september or october.I live in Dublin during the week for college and go home to Cork for weekends and holidays,and the dog would be coming with me to and from dublin and cork.Before anyone attacks me,I am not a party animal student and do not have many hours in class so I will be able to devote lots of time to my dog always and this is not an impulse decision I have made lightly without considering all the pros and cons.Anyways I am interested in seeing if there are any people who have pets who are in a similar position to myself as regards transport and accommodation as the only issues I have with getting a dog is finding decent yet affordable pet friendly accommodation and also transport with pets,ie taxis/dublin buses/trains? Any advice from anyone who has experience with these type of matters would be very appreciated ,thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi,

we had to find a place with 2 cats in December in Dublin. It was quite difficult, most agencies simply said no, some would have asked for 2 months deposit instead of one. In the end however, we managed to get an unfurnished apartment, with cats declared etc. Had to buy some furniture in Ikea but it was worth the costs (and it's really cheap & cheerful). We thought that in future too, we will try unfurnished places - hardly anything that your pet can destroy (at least cats).
    The other thing is that you can limit your searches on daft.ie to places that allow pets - but you will probably get very few results
    good luck,
    sf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 musicnotes

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi,

we had to find a place with 2 cats in December in Dublin. It was quite difficult, most agencies simply said no, some would have asked for 2 months deposit instead of one. In the end however, we managed to get an unfurnished apartment, with cats declared etc. Had to buy some furniture in Ikea but it was worth the costs (and it's really cheap & cheerful). We thought that in future too, we will try unfurnished places - hardly anything that your pet can destroy (at least cats).
    The other thing is that you can limit your searches on daft.ie to places that allow pets - but you will probably get very few results
    good luck,
    sf

yeah i figured it would be tough enough to find a place,really am excited to get the dog though so hopefully I will find somewhere !Dont think unfurnished is an option for me because I simply could not afford to furnish a whole place myself since I am a student and will be hopefully sharing ! thank you very much for your reply and advice though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It can be tough enough finding pet-friendly accomodation when you're renting a flat on your own; you might run into additional problems seeing as you're intending to share. Some people just aren't into dogs or don't like them shedding around the house or have allergies. I don't mean to put you off, but you might be making things hard for yourself.

Would you think about getting the numbers of a few estate agents off Daft in the area you think you want to live and ring them directly and ask what the general feeling is on pets? There are places that don't specify that they're "pets allowed" but are still happy to have them. Since your dog will be small as well, they might not have as much of a problem with it. We have 14 guinea pigs and asked our landlord if we could have them and we were told that he didn't really consider them a problem and that we could have a small dog if we wanted, but not a big one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I have a kitten in my current apartment in Dublin. On the ad for our apartment it said pets not allowed. As it turned out, this was put there by the estate agents looking after it. I asked the estate agent to explicitly ask the landlord if pets were ok, in our case a kitten and a large enough tank of fish.
    The landlord was fine with us having the pets and all is ok now.

OP, you should ask the estate agents to explicitly ask the landlord about getting a small dog but don't be surprised if they say no because you aren't getting a cool enough breed of dog :p

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

We live in a house in Tralee, where according to the college there's 5 beds for every 1 student who's looking. Our house is rented out room by room by the most easy-going landlord you'll ever meet. He's mad to fill the place, but even he said no to a girl who was going to have a dog.

I think you'll have a challenge on your hands, and being from Dublin I'd imagine that it's even harder up home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm afraid you'll find it very difficult OP, and even if you do find one place, chances are you won't be there for very long. Especially if you're planning to share. Clash of personalities etc could mean you might want to move, and you'll be really restricted. When you're about to leave education, start your career etc everything is so up in the air. In my opinion, it would be unfair to bring a dog into such an unstable environment.

I personally know 2 girls who got dogs and one ended up in a rescue, the other is living in her sisters house now. Within 6 months of getting the dogs both had to be given up. I know of many more who've had to give dogs up due to "change of circumstances" often a move to a home where pets are not allowed.

We bought our house when we did because I couldn't find rented accom with 2 cats, so I know exactly how you feel. I went ahead and got the pets and some things were so difficult because of it. I love my cats so much, but I genuinely wish I'd waited a few years.

You will also find travel on public transport very difficult with a dog. Buses generally don't allow them to travel and it's entirely up to the driver. I think dublin bus have a "no dogs at all" stance. (I could be wrong) I think with the train, you need to let them know in advance, and even if you do, I think it's still up to the driver. It's a long journey from cork to dublin and could be very stressful for a dog. Of course if you have a car it would be a lot easier. :)

Advertisement