Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help chossing a tree for a small garden

Options
  • 21-03-2011 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

hi,
    I have a voucher that I need to use up in coming days before it expires for a choice of 5 trees:)

1. redbud tree
    2. japanese maple
    3.cheals weeping cherry
    4.pink wisteria
    5.sunburst locust

we have a small garden but will be moving in coming months to years and thinking of keeping it potted for a while and will plant out when have a permanent location. otherwise will plant it but would maybe like to move it. I suppose am looking to pink a pretty tree from the choice above, thats easy to keep, ok to keep potted for a little while if needed and then if planted wont be too big. any advice? thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

love japanese maples, but wouldn't advise one if planning on moving it around or looking for something easy to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Have a look at an Acer - you could get away with keeping it in a large pot for a couple of years before you settle on something more permanent...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I've had a japanese acer in a pot now for 5 years. It is my favourite plant in the whole garden.

Looks a bit like this one:

Acer-Palmatum-Atropurpureum.jpg

I keep it in a shadey spot and other than clipping it back a little every other year or so and transplanting it into a bigger pot about two years back, it's been no work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your choices are a bit exotic. Redbud isn't common here I think, so I can't comment on it.
    Wisteria is a climber so would need support.
    Locust is a big tree, not for small gardens.
    Weeping cherry. Hm, not too keen on cherries - lovely for a couple of weeks then boring for the rest of the year.
    Japanese acer - have a reputation for being difficult, but I haven't had any problems with them and they are quite happy in a large pot, at least for a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roccabella

thanks for all the replies, i think we will go with the japanese maple, colours of leaves lovely, and great to be able to keep in a pot for a while, thank you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Devrobia

Yep i would go for the maple also, have one of these in a pot on my patio...Beautiful tree's

Advertisement