Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat after use by date

Options
  • 21-03-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got 300 grams of uncooked chciken breast meat in the supermarket today and would like to use half of it tomorrow although the use by date is today. Would this be safe do you think. Also should i cook it all today and leave the half until tomorrow or cook the other half tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd probably cook it all today. Or freeze the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

Yeah, I'd say cook it all to-day, you can never be too careful with meat, I did that before with steak and ended up being sick for three days :rolleyes: even though it was still in date

• Registered Users Posts: 65,497 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah, I'd say cook it all to-day, you can never be too careful with meat, I did that before with steak and ended up being sick for three days :rolleyes: even though it was still in date

It was probably something else that made you sick!

With chicken I wouldn't like to go over the date generally, but never mind the date, make sure it smells fine. I've bought chicken fillets that smelt rotten before the use by date in Superquinn more than once (and my fridge is set to a fairly cold 2C)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I had a steak last night and it was ment to be up on the 20-21st, I ate it blue and I've no problems today. I don't know about chicken but I always have steak a day or two after it's "use by" date. Give the meat a smell and if it smells off then chuck it. If it looks good and smells good you should be fine. Brown spots here and there on steak is fine, just make sure the breasts aren't slimey or anything.

Advertisement