Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancient Greek

• 21-03-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi
    I am doing ancient Greek for my leaving cert and I need a textbook, could anyone tell me the textbook that they are using.

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Leaving Cert 2013

Anyone:):)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Why Ancient Greek? I'm assuming you don't have a teacher, are you taking the subject because of entry requirements in college? Surely Japanese or Russian would be easier or at least have better online resources.

Still, there might be something here http://www.modlangbooks.com/ But i haven't heard of an Ancient Greek textbook.

Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

There isn't a Leaving Cert Greek textbook. In school we just worked off notes from the teacher and past papers. At university we used a book called "Reading Greek" published by the Cambridge University Press which is mainly geared towards people not too proficient in the language. Must say though, past papers (from the '20s onwards!) are the key to success in LC Greek as plenty of "unseen" passages have been repeated at 20/30 year intervals. Μολὼν λαβέ; :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'd recommend Reading Greek as well. Are you teaching yourself?

Ya ,did many people do ancient greek in your school

• Advertisement

Went to school in UK so not many, but different system. I did Ancient Greek at University though. How come you're studying it yourself?

I dont know, I just want to , maybe i just want to try something new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

You're going to find it extremely difficult, especially if you haven't done it for Junior Cert and without a teacher it's going to be doubly hard. It took me 6 years of hard work to get an A1 in the leaving cert, I don't think you could replicate that in 3 and do 5/6 other subjects

Did may people do it in your class and i did it for the junuior cert but the school had to cut back so they got rid of it so i do it outside, what book did you use for the j.c and l.c

I think it's great that you want to do Greek but it's a tough subject to study alone. I'd recommend trying to get a tutor from somewhere - http://caiteachers.com/ can probably point you in the right direction, or www.classicalassociation.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Pick something realistic :p There's a reason only 13 or so people did it last year. And none the year before? Most people who do it come from boarding schools where they've been learning it since first year. Classics would be more achievable, maybe even funner.

Advertisement