Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SkyIreland Website

• 21-03-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Does anyone else find the Sky Ireland website as frustrating as I do? It seems they do more to hide whats on offer than to be clear on the detail. I have Sky+ box with HD for over 12 months and consider it an overpriced luxury but UPC does not supply HD in my area. But here's the bit which really annoys me. When I log into my account on the website it tells me I have 1 pack with HD but does not tell me the actual channels I have access to. I am not allowed to upgrade on line as this is reserved to the UK so I cannot peruse what other packs are on offer or the channels in them. The whole thing smacks of smart alec marketing obscurantism
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Hmm.

So it's overpriced. But you want to upgrade (i.e. pay them more) ? Doesn't compute.

I don't know for sure, but I understand their packs are the same in the UK as they are here (except for the presence of RTEs, etc . . .) so you should be able to work out what packs are available from looking at the UK site.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

Yes, I can see the contradiction there but extra packs cost only 2 euro. The word upgrade is another marketing misnomer. All I want to add is an extra service. "Upgrade" should be reserved if say I was upgrading to HD. Apologies for the rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

What's really annoying me at the moment is there are loads of ads for a website that doesn't exist, namely skyireland.ie - all that exists is a redirect to the sky.com/ireland tacked on and not really working bit of the Sky website.

I posted a message to Sky last week on the website to ask them whether Sky is broadcasting or planning to broadcast the extra channels made available on SAORVIEW. I got the usual automatic response but so far no answer to my query. If this website is being run from the UK they may not be aware of the establishment of SAORVIEW!

Mystified wrote: »
    I posted a message to Sky last week on the website to ask them whether Sky is broadcasting or planning to broadcast the extra channels made available on SAORVIEW. I got the usual automatic response but so far no answer to my query. If this website is being run from the UK they may not be aware of the establishment of SAORVIEW!

I think the issue with that would actually be with RTE.

They have to decide that they want Sky to carry the channels and I would imagine that, as they want to encourage people to go from analogue to Saorview, that they won't be making those extra channels available to Sky for a while.

• Advertisement

Mr Man wrote: »
    I think the issue with that would actually be with RTE.

They have to decide that they want Sky to carry the channels and I would imagine that, as they want to encourage people to go from analogue to Saorview, that they won't be making those extra channels available to Sky for a while.

You are right. I queried SAORVIEW and got this reply

"The channels RTÉ News Now, RTÉ Jnr and RTÉ1+! Are specific to the SAORVIEW service and therefore, not available on Sky"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Mystified wrote: »
    You are right. I queried SAORVIEW and got this reply

"The channels RTÉ News Now, RTÉ Jnr and RTÉ1+! Are specific to the SAORVIEW service and therefore, not available on Sky"

Saorview is hype about nothing. What extra channels? All you get is 3e.
    RTE1 + 1, RTE News Now is repeats of RTE, RTE Jr is almost same as RTE2. No wonder Sky arent bothered about adding the channels. Anyone with Sky plus who wants to watch the news can tape it every day on series link!
    Saorview should at least have a couple of other channels on it. Oops sorry I forgot, Dail TV is coming, wonderful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Widescreen wrote: »

RTE2HD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

RTE1 + 1, RTE News Now is repeats of RTE, RTE Jr is almost same as RTE2. No wonder Sky arent bothered about adding the channels. Anyone with Sky plus who wants to watch the news can tape it every day on series link!
    Saorview should at least have a couple of other channels on it. Oops sorry I forgot, Dail TV is coming, wonderful!

For anyone who only had analogue terrestrial television i imagine it is a big deal. Saorview is only a replacement for analogue terrestrial.

Are you expecting them to add Sky channels to it or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Mr Man wrote: »
    What's really annoying me at the moment is there are loads of ads for a website that doesn't exist, namely skyireland.ie - all that exists is a redirect to the sky.com/ireland tacked on and not really working bit of the Sky website.

Putting a redirect in place is the sensible and cost effective thing to do. They actually do have plenty of Irish specific content and they have improved it over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    For anyone who only had analogue terrestrial television i imagine it is a big deal. Saorview is only a replacement for analogue terrestrial.

Are you expecting them to add Sky channels to it or something?

Well the equivalent uk service at least gives uk viewers enough channels so they dont really have to subscribe to aanother provider to get enough viewing choice.

Needless to say, here we get the bare minimum as usual and therefore still have to go to sky or upc to get any realistic viewing choice at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Well the equivalent uk service at least gives uk viewers enough channels so they dont really have to subscribe to aanother provider to get enough viewing choice.

Needless to say, here we get the bare minimum as usual and therefore still have to go to sky or upc to get any realistic viewing choice at all.

But that "equivalent UK service" is broadcasting to a potential advertising revenue from 59M viewers compared to 4.5M viewers here.

Did the equivalent UK service only start recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Did the equivalent UK service only start recently?

FreeView (UK DTT) has been on air in various forms for more than 10 years (14 in some cases)

I know that. I find it ridiculous that someone would expect the same level of service from Saorview.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Putting a redirect in place is the sensible and cost effective thing to do. They actually do have plenty of Irish specific content and they have improved it over the years.

To me it's dishonest as it implies they have a real skyireland.ie website when all they have are a few pages on the UK website.

They should post the actual URLs instead of made up ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭OldRio

You do not have to go to Sky or UPC.
    FTA reciever costs little and gives you greater choice if that is what you wish.

Advertisement