Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

work instead of saorview i wonder??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

For Saorview, no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Doubt if that particular one does HD, you should check as if it does not, it is useless to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

I think this won't work with saorview it uses MPEG-2 which isn't compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

It's only MPEG-2, needs to be MPEG-4.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have one a bit like that one, but my one does MPEG 4 HD and does work with Saorview, except that it does not have MHEG 5. It cost me €50, which I think is good value.

It also connects by HDMI and does PVR to an external USB disk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

is there MPEG 4 ones round the same price

is there MPEG 4 ones round the same price

Yes, my one is MPEG 4 HD and cost me €50 in Ireland. (Dublin)

I'm sure there are more available. The one quoted above on ebay is in Hong Kong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

just wonder if this would work instead of getting a aerial installed for saorview.seems legit and easy to use.wonder if anyone has one of these.http://cgi.ebay.ie/Receptor-DVB-T-SCART-/320663121116?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item4aa902ecdc#ht_3270wt_905

Even if it worked (it doesn't) you ALWAYS need an aerial.
    An Indoor one is only reliable if you can see the mast from window in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

Sam can I ask where you got one of them for €50, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Where is Dublin did you get it?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Where is Dublin did you get it?
    Thanks

PM me and I will tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

How come nobody noticed the bit about the aerial until post #9?

ya i noticed it....dont really seems to be a problem tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

i got one of these and it works http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300524908948&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT. Not mpeg5 so no teletext or whatever it is but not bothered about that.

The saving compared to a more compatible brand name isn't huge though. I'd not buy one of those. Wait a few months.

The MHEG5 is not just about text, if it was it wouldn't be a mandatory part of spec.

How come nobody noticed the bit about the aerial until post #9?

I was having coffee earlier :)

ya i noticed it....dont really seems to be a problem tho

You have an aerial? Decent Analogue picture (not from Cable or Sky)? NO receiver or adaptor works without an aerial, unless it's Cable or Satellite (which don't have Saorview).

and do get uk and saorview with that box..seems good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Is this not the satellite forum?:)

adm wrote: »
    i got one of these and it works http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300524908948&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT. Not mpeg5 so no teletext or whatever it is but not bothered about that.

But it says it is Freeview HD, so it should have MHEG 5. Does it put the channels in the right place?

• Advertisement

But it says it is Freeview HD, so it should have MHEG 5. Does it put the channels in the right place?

Yes it did. dont know much about the tech but did not see mpeg5 mentioned on ebay page so presumed it wasn't supported.

and do get uk and saorview with that box..seems good value

just saorview. I have a separate freeSAT box for uk channels.
    It seemed too cheap to me actually but I thought I'd give it a try. It has no brand and may break in a couple of weeks but for now it works.

Healy1 wrote: »
    looking at feedback

The pictures show the `Freeview HD` logo. This item is not a Freeview HD decoder Buyer: monks-hood ( 141) 25-Feb-11 20:54
    Reply by accessories4gadgets (04-Mar-11 12:10):
    Fair point,but if you read the listing we say several times it upscales to 1080i

?

Can someone explain what this means?

It means the seller is dodgy, thinks "Freeview HD" = 1080i. The seller is illegally using the "Freeview HD" logo to promote cheap incompatible "junk".

It's not "Freeview HD". It won't have MHEG5. It's not worth the saving compared to a real "Freeview HD" box. I'd not encourage such dishonest vendors.

Without a test lab and also known good boxes you can't tell how well it "works".

If the box is Freeview HD it will be listed on the Freeview website.

So, as it is not listed, I assume it is not Freeview HD, so if you find one big mistake in a listing, do not make one yourself by buying it.

Advertisement