Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Callahan May 5th Academy

Options
  • 21-03-2011 5:10pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

May 5th

Academy

22E inc booking fee

onsale now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Brilliant. Great live performer - it's been too long since he played in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

pity it's in the academy, it's a good venue for loud stuff but not so good for quiet gigs - unless bill is cranking it up to 11, is he?

pity it's in the academy, it's a good venue for loud stuff but not so good for quiet gigs - unless bill is cranking it up to 11, is he?

Not unless he's got some stadium anthems hidden up his sleeve that I don't know about.

At least it's not The Village, that's where he played last time and it's a shocking venue.

I dunno about that, think I've been more annoyed by numpties in the academy than the village, bar feels closer in the academy and I can just imagine the tills rattling and people yapping.....getting tense already!

I dunno about that, think I've been more annoyed by numpties in the academy than the village, bar feels closer in the academy and I can just imagine the tills rattling and people yapping.....getting tense already!

I was just talking about the sound quality. There's idiots everywhere unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Does he perform with a band?

I only have one Smog album and it's got Jim White playing drums (which was one of the selling points for me)

I was just talking about the sound quality. There's idiots everywhere unfortunately.

true that, and you're right the sound is much better in the academy.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Does he perform with a band?

I only have one Smog album and it's got Jim White playing drums (which was one of the selling points for me)

He normally performs with just one or two other people.

I saw him tour with Jim White on the River Ain't Too Much To Love album and they were absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Been waiting for this for a while. Seen some videos on youtube of him playing record stores etc. Great stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 geno

Anyone know who's supporting him for this gig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

not able to head up from Limk, but his latest album Apocalypse is great....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Couldn't go, what was the gig like?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

geno wrote: »
    Couldn't go, what was the gig like?

you don't really want to know how amazing it was... honestly you don't.

Anniversary. Bathysphere. etc

Thanks, you're right, I didn't want to hear that

What was the first song played during the encore called?
    geno wrote: »
    Thanks, you're right, I didn't want to hear that

It started to rain when I was leaving, so... you avoided getting slightly wet.

hope that helps.

smokedeels wrote: »
    What was the first song played during the encore called?

I can't remember what he played first. Gimme some lyrics from it and I'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

This was pretty amazing. Most respectful crowd ever. Could hear the till closing in the bar.

Last song of the night. Bathysphere

I thought the gig started amazingly, the first 6 or 7 songs were just superb. I thought it lost a little bit after the song with Afghanistan in it and then recovered at the end. But overall it was very good.

Crowd were superbly quiet. Can someone develop a quiet electronic till for use in concert venues?

• Advertisement

Something about the way he delivered the eponymous words from "My Friend" has stuck with me since the gig.

Advertisement